Divided by 13: RSA 23 vs. LDW 17/39 overdrive sounds

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by davidkiddmusic, Jun 9, 2006.

1. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

Wondering if any of you can explain the sonic differences through experience with the overdrive sounds of these amps in comparison to one another?

Also, the 23 is said to break up rather early... I remember it doing so but it was fairly loud. Do you guys think its enough headroom to do channel switching for clean/overdriven sounds at a small to medium size gig?

And lastly, what kind of headroom are we talking about on the LDW?

I know im asking alot you guys are the best to ask. Thanks!

2. JoeP

JoeP Member

The LDW has plenty. The Master works great. You get the same sound at 3 oclock as you do at 9 oclock, it just isn't as loud. It really seems to me to be a great tool for the 13's, especially for small to mid size clubs. And the cleans, while not as good as the 37, are surpisingly good for a amp that is supposedly high gain (although, if you dime the gain it gets pretty gainey, it's really a smooth amount of gain all the way through).

One thing i did like about a 23s that i tried, is that you can set it for your rhythms, and just use a pedal for your leads, and that amp loved pedals.

And the LDW loves them too. Tried a delay/rotosphere in the loop, a Klon and a Blues Driver on the front, and it works great in all aspects.

3. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

any body else have input on this...? (aka bump)

4. mlongano

mlongano Member

I agree that the LDW has plenty of clean headroom, and plenty of gain on tap.

I cannot however, compare it to an RSA23 as I've never heard or played one of those amps.

5. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I have not had the pleasure of playing an LDW but I can say the RSA23 is one of my all time favorite amps. It's literally like having the best late 60's 100 watt non-master plexi but with far more gain (if desired) an exteneded and far tighter bottom end and at a volume (while not QUIET BY ANY MEANS) most of us can actually use live without the need for subustantial attenuation (which I absolutely despise!!!!!!!!!). The RSA23 is like a 23 watt version of my old Mojave Peacemaker which is a fantastic amp. But the RSA23 is an even more refined tone in that it sounds completely unleashed when you push it but never produces those nasty subharmonic overtones or "ghost notes" that so many other plexi style non-master amps are so bad about. Somehow Fredrick has found a way to build an amp that sounds both completely unfiltered, alive and extremely responsive and yet dead clean and quiet and "ghost note" free all at the same time. The RSA23 is also a dream with any and all pedals just like you would expect from an old non-master plexi. The tonal spectrum is rich and full with lots of woody mids, tons of nice tight bottom end thump and that ripping plexi top end but without being edgy or buzzy. Just and all around extremely sweet sounding little beast. If classic rock is your goal and you really want all the feel and vibe or the old non-master rockers of yesteryear and then some I can't recommend the RSA23 enough. I've owned several Divided by 13's now and it of course goes without saying the Fred has never build a bad amp. So I'm sure you will be happy with which ever you choose.:BEER

6. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I used to think the RSA was the most Marshally sounding Divided by 13 amp...until Fred came up with the JJN and LDW. I could never put my finger on which Marshall the RSA23 reminded me of...but it is Marshall-ish. The JJN and LDW (to my understanding), however, are much closer to traditional Marshall 'big amp' circuitry, but with a bit more gain and better low-end and filtering. They have KILLER master volumes, clean up VERY well from the guitar (like all of Fred's amps) and can be ordered with an effects loop.

7. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I heard the RSA23 can take a bunch of different power tubes...is that true?

8. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

Im starting to think that the LDW is gonna be a better tool for me now and in the long run. Do you know how much Fred charges for the head?

9. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

IIRC, the RSA can take a few different tubes. I think several of /13 amps can, possibly with a few minor changes (like to grid resistors or something simple). These are really questions (including pricing) that you should really direct to Fred.

10. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

for a live situation i think the rsa can be more versatile with the 2 channels ... but from what i remember ... the rsa 23 has a lot less headroom than the LDW. The LDW is the most impressive of freds amps that i have ever heard. I REALLY want one. By the end of the summer i plan on having either an ldw or another ftr37.

jon

11. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

Just pulled the trigger on an RSA 23! I cant wait. I may have to sell my 65Amps London 112 combo if the 23 operates as I expect it to. We'll see. But I cant wait for this amp!

12. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Lemme know if that 65 goes :)

glad you picked up that 23! I saw it on the emporium and hoped you would get it.

13. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

If the 65 does, I'll contact you first. Thanks for looking out with the 23!