Divided by 13 RSA31 vs Dr Z Stang Ray

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fjam82, Mar 17, 2008.

1. fjam82

fjam82 Member

Anybody played both?? I`m trying to decide on an el84 vox inspired amp but I`m having some trouble.. Does the RSA 31 has the same thickness and bass response as the FTR 37 and RSA23?? I liked those amps but found them too thick for me, I like something a little brighter.. Want alot of headroom to be able to use with pedals for dirt and get a nice chimey clena sound as well.... How does a RSA 31 compare in terms of volume to an FTR 37??

I have a Maz 18 which I will be selling or trading to get my new amp and I found it a little on the bright side for single coils...

thanks!!

2. fjam82

fjam82 Member

3. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

I have not played that particular model, but from my own experience with a JRT 9/15 and in the comments i've read by other people, it seems that all of Fred's amps have a strong bottom/low mid content which may be the thickness you describe.

4. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

I don't find the 31 to have as much bass and thickness at the 37 or the 23, and would describe it as somewhat brighter. The TMB channel will give you what you want I believe, and with the click channel I don't think you would need pedals for dirt, unless you are going for some serious gain. I did a/b it with a Z Stang....and thought that while the Z does sound nice, the 31 has more tonal flexibility given the click channel, and I would pick the 31 over the Z. The 31 is a great sounding amp, and would make a great addition to my setup, complimenting my 23 nicely. For me personally, I wish the 31 had reverb like the ERT33, and before buying a 31 I would make it a point to also try the ERT before deciding. For most, I don't think you can go wrong with the 31.

5. fjam82

fjam82 Member

very interesting.. any other opinions? any more info on the stang and it`s strengths??

6. fjam82

fjam82 Member

7. blondeorphan

blondeorphan Member

fjam82 - the RSA 31 has a lot of bottom end. I've only A/B'd it with AC 30's and the 31 has WAY MORE Bass on tap. Very 3 dimensional. I dial a lot of Bass out of the amp because it really helps bring out clarity when mic'd.

Another great thing about the RSA 31 is that it's super configurable depending on what you're doing (full power out of both 12's(8 ohm outs), 1/2 power out of both 12's (4 ohm outs) or 1/2 power out of ONE 12 (8 ohm out)). As far as volume/clean headroom, single coils punch out so much that if I run the volumes at the edge of breakup (EQ Ch @ 10'oclock & CLICK Ch @ 9'oclock), I'm mic'ing the 2x12 back stage... The click channel has no Treble EQ, just a low cut and through Alnico Blues I've found it to be on the bright side, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

What tubes are in your Maz 18?

Cheers

8. fjam82

fjam82 Member

I have 12AX7C`s to reduce the brightness...

9. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

i have played both and own the stang. the divided stuff is really nice but IMHO doesn't merit the price tag and for some reason had a nasty buzz on everyone i have played, maybe dirty power??? with that said maybe the price tag has just turned me off.

if you are looking for a ton of clean headroom to use pedals with then the stangray is the amp you are looking for.

the divided by will give you more tonal flexibility, with the click channel. The stang has three knobs, volume tone cut, but what it does it does well.

the stang also has a very thick bottom end but still has top end clarity to it.

Jordan

10. fjam82

fjam82 Member

You guys are making my decision really tough!!!

11. Richards

Richards Member

In my experience the Divided by 13 RSA 31 is more flexible, yes Fred's amps are known for having big bass response, but that can easily be dialed out by the bass knob. I own 2 early 60's AC-30's , and when A/B them , you can immediately spot the similarities in the amps, RSA 31 has the chime, sparkle, projects a 3-D sound by way of clarity, harmonic complexity (especially through the mid frequencies), produces great sustain and overtones especially when channels are blended. Its definately beefier and projects a bigger sound then the Dr.Z. Having played the Stang Ray I find the Ray , though its a great amp, is not as flexible as the RSA 31. It tends to prefer single coils, and sounds muddy with humbuckers/P 90's (in my experience) The upper mids and highs on the Dr.Z are alittle less pronounced and if compared to a live situation , the RSA 31 mids and high frequencies will cut through the mix with more clarity then the Stang Ray. All that aside, this is my opinion and it is little details from my experience in playing the Stang Ray, really its like "knit-picking'' because it is a good amp, but compared to the qualities of the RSA 31, IMO the RSA 31 offers way more.

Yes the Divided by 13 has more bass, but its made out to sound like this amp is a bass amp. If you don;t like the amount of bass in the RSA 31's tone, you can totally dial it out via the bass knob!!

12. fjam82

fjam82 Member

interesting..... Z or D ????????????????????????:Spank:Spank:crazyguy

13. fjam82

fjam82 Member

Still can't decide....... anybody??

14. jason576

jason576 Member

15. justin

justin Gold Supporting Member

Ive owned both at the same time. If you like a stiffer feel and tighter punchier bass response go with the Stangray. If you want a little more sag and a smoother creamier feel get the RSA31. As far a versatile goes, a good pedal like an Xotic BB goes a long way with the Z. A nocaster and the Z cranked to about 2 or 3 oclock is an awesome tone. Its Brad Paisley tone. The RSA does that tone pretty good too but its not as in your face and punchy. If I planned on doing more of a rock thing Id go with the RSA. There's more available gain and tone shaping control. They're both great and would try them both out if I were you. Just make sure you turn them both up loud to hear what they really sound like.