Divided by 13 SJT 10/20 VS. Fender Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by davidkiddmusic, Oct 26, 2005.

1. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

So I'm curious as to what the major differences sonically between these amps are since everyone refers to the SJT 10/20 as a bulked up DLX REV.

Who likes what better? Major differences? Between the 2 which you'd pick?

Thanks a mil.

2. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

1- 10/20 has more gain.

2- 10/20 has more tonal options.

3- 10/20 is louder, though the clean headroom is about the same as a DR's.

4- 10/20 doesn't quite have the distinct "scooped mids" of a BF amp. More like a gainy Brown amp with an excellent verb.

5- Both amps can tear your head off if you play a telecaster through it, but while a BFDR feels like an icepick going through your eardrum, the 10/20 feels more like a battering ram.

6- DR feels more relaxed, and has more "space' around the notes. I think it takes pedals a bit more easily, as the 10/20 is full of itself.

7- for some reason, the 10/20 has a TON of bass available. I turned it almost off for most of my guitars.

The 10/20 is better for rock , though it has a nice clean sound, and i like it better for yer basic strat/tele. The BFDR is better for everything else, IMO, but it's really down to taste. Both amps hurt my ears, but if i won a lottery i would have both

3. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

Sounds perfect for me. I'm a pretty strict Tele player and I was looking for something with a little less scooped mid section than the DR. I love mdrange "umph". I have a '66 DR and I'm gonna be getting a 10/20 soon. Can't wait to have both. Thanks for your reply.

4. jdsgilmour

jdsgilmour Suffering from chronic gearitis Gold Supporting Member

I agree with 57Special, particularly regarding the following:

1) 10/20 has WAY more gain, particularly on the 5879 channel;

2) 10/20 has ridiculous amounts of bass. I have my bass control set at the 8 am position and it's still almost too much;

3) 10/20 is loud. It is louder than my Fargen 20 watt, Aiken 30 watt, and Marshall 40 watt. Only thing that hangs with it is my Reinhardt 18 (which may even be louder). I know that seems odd, but that's how my ears (and my neighbors) hear it.

John

5. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

How would you guys also say the dampening switch on the 10/20 affects the tone. Is it a high cut? Which setting do you prefer?

6. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

jdsgilmour, under the assumption that you have one (?), which cab(s) are you playing it through?

7. jdsgilmour

jdsgilmour Suffering from chronic gearitis Gold Supporting Member

Yes, the dampening switch works like a high cut to my ears. It seems to reduce overall volume slightly, too. I've only used the dampening switch recently and haven't quite gotten a feel for it. Right now I'd say I prefer it off. Yes, I own Fred's Winter '05 NAMM 10/20. I play it through one of Fred's 1x12 open back cabs with a G12H30 Reissue mostly. I'm going to swap out the G12H30 for a 1265 this weekend and see how it affects the tone. I also want to try it with a Blue, probably a Weber. I also play it through my ZBest 2x12 with a Greenback and G12H30, but the bass can be a bit boomy (that cab setup, however, is my all time favorite with my Aiken). I still need to give her a go with an open back 2x12 set up with a Blue and a G12H30, but haven't pulled the trigger, yet. Still trying to figure out which cab to buy!

John

8. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

As far as the cab thing goes. To be honest, if I were you, I'd call Cas at Tone-tools and make yourself the most insane cab you can think of. His cabs sound AWESOME; I have 2 friends that are fantastic players and have pristine ears, and when I heard theirs I was blow away. He himself to be honest has given me the best customer service I have ever had in my life from any company, EVER.

Oh... did I mention he does great work as well...? I have a custom cab from him coming with specialized shape and design that is a closed back with the back panel option of being an open back and partial open back. He is VERY reasonably priced as well. He can build you the cab of your dreams.

check him out: www.tone-tools.com

9. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

Thanks Rob. I have often wondered the same thing about the 10/20 vs. DR.

10. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

Another thanks to 57special for the detailed description of the 10/20, sounds like a cool amp. Until I read this, I really had no idea what this amp sounded like despite all the glowing threads about this line of amps. There do seem to be a number of players who feel the amp's bass response is perhaps a bit on the heavy side, wonder if the amp was voiced primarily with single-coil guitars in mind. Can't wait to try a /13 amp at some point.

11. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

57special, do you find the gain/mid boost knob to be sonically close to a midrangy kick a$% tube screamer(esque) amp sound? or what?

12. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Well, I HATE Tubescreamers, but imagine a TS with an overall boost, rather than just a mid heavy thing. I mean the mids are going to kick in as the amp distorts, but not with that "mid cloak over everything' sound of a TS.
    I actually found the 10/20 to be too aggressive for what i wanted it for...very crunchy, and can get out of control with higher levels of volume and/or boost...it is a full sounding amp . If they were a bit cheaper, i'd have one lying around for sure.

13. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Man I am curious about his amp... so is it too bassy for Les Pauls?

14. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I play a LP through one. I use the low gain input, damping switch set to the lowest gain side (don't know if that's on or off) and the pull mid boost off, most of the time. I'm using a Klon for clean boost, a Tim for low gain (I tried a Zendrive for quite a while, never sounded right to me. The Tim is great!) and a Xactone POD for high gain Marshally stuff. I have to keep the bass low but my LP sounds very nice. So does a strat, I don't re EQ either.

15. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Would Fred be open to making one with less bass? I only play Les Pauls so I wonder if he'd tailor the amp a bit. Or is that heresy???