Divided by 13 SJT10/20 owners....

mangoman

Gold Supporting Member
Quick question for you:

What speaker are you using with this amp? I've got the head and combo. The G12H30 is pretty bright (I realize its new) and really hi fi sounding. Great amp. I've just got a few speakers like a cream back and a cel gold...but both in 8 ohm.

Also, closed back or open with this puppy???

mudster

High Prairie Wrangler
Gold Supporting Member
Open back for sure. I use the g12H and it did break in very nicely and is hard to beat. I also have a 2 x 12" cab (glorious for gigs where you need to move a bit more air) with the G12H and a Celestion Blue. A great combination. I used it with a 2 x 12" closed back cab w/ vintage blue celestions and it sounded great, but it is designed for an open-back Fenderish sound. I had another div/13 amp w/ a closed back w/ 2 greenbacks and I did not care for that sound with this amp.
If I was going to try other speakers, I might try ASW Elegante or something like that, but honestly Fred's amps sound best, to this player's ears, the way he ships 'em.
Great amp.

Oh, I meant to add that the hi-fi sound of the speaker will definitely go away. You'll get a nice combination of amp and speaker breakup.

mangoman

Gold Supporting Member
Hey crash,

I'll try to make it succinct on my answer.....

TO ME:

Both amps are incredibly made, look great, and sound awesome. Definitely very high fi and sit in the mix perfectly.

Both take pedals like a champ, and I would give the slight edge to the BTR23. I think there is something special about the KT88's. both have a wonderful clean tone, very full and 3d sounding.

The BEST thing about these amps, are, that I was able to dial in a GREAT tone immediately. Not one of those, hey, that sounds good, but its still missing something, lets try....you get the idea.

Here are the differences (and the SJT is a head/cab and the BTR was a combo)

SJT definitely has more bass response.
The BTR was a loud beast, and to me, almost too loud (well actually too loud since I sold it)
SJT definitely more Fender Camp, BTR more of a meaty Vox clean, without chime, and a Marshall plexi type OD. I prefer the BTR crunch, but I can get a pedal for the SJT.
BTR is very punchy and immediate in its attack. I think that's the power and the KT88's that provide that.

In the end, the SJT just makes me want to play more guitar. Very articulate and yet, a tad forgiving, if that makes sense. I have the volume at 10 o'clock (9 for home) which is definitely not as loud at the BTR with the vol and MV at 9. The two inputs, the pull/gain/boost, the dampening switch and the 10/20 switch make this thing very versatile.

On paper the CCC9/15 is probably the most versatile of the bunch, but the SJT is pretty darn flexible, and the extra power makes a difference I think. If the SJT had a MV it could be as close to perfect you can get in an amp....

mangoman

Gold Supporting Member
Oh, and like others have posted, the reverb gets pretty splashy real quick. I can see just using my flint for verb, otherwise, I just barely have it on at home.

And to the others, thanks for the speaker ideas. I think I will leave it alone, and sell the gold.

Will have to keep my eye out for a used 2x12!

Last Nerve

There is no magic tone in a decal.
Gold Supporting Member
If you come across one (because IMO, it is close to the G12H30) I woul dtry an Eminence CRex. Great sounding speaker with that amp. Not quite as much highs.

straticus

You might want to try an ASW Crossroads. It's an incredibly great sounding and superbly balanced speaker.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom