Divided RSA31 vs Hayseed 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Myron Stratis, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Supporting Member

Has anyone got any experiences with both amps? I am looking for a 'modern' VOX tone: Think the Edge, Radiohead etc Overdrive boxes-delays etc Which one would you choose?

This is a really tough decision because I am pretty sure that both amp makers offer great amplifiers, I must confess that for half the Divided price the Hayseed looks sooooooo sweet! :D Any opinions are more than welcome!

2. Myron Stratis

3. Myron Stratis

4. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

modern Vox. Man, get that Hayseed!!!!!!

it ooozes U2. And I'm a man (boy) who loves his U2. :D

5. Myron Stratis

Ha ha ha, great news! :) So are you using it's normal input or jumpering??

6. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

i don't see how any sane person would be disappointed by the hayseed. i have a hayseed custom and a vac 50 watter. simply amazing amps and fantastic bargains too.

7. mkg

mkg Member

Has anyone found the mp3s on the Valvetech site? It says "now hear mp3s" but I haven't been able to find them.

8. randy morser

randy morser Member

the d13 amps are simply the best amps that i've ever played. everyone i know who's played tham says the same bar none. if you have the money... go all the way. but with me, half-measures are a waste of time and money. there.

9. Richards

Richards Silver Supporting Member

I have heard and played the Hayseed and own a Div by 13 RSA 31, if you have the $ get the Div by 13, much bigger sounding, bigger bottom, better defined mids. both take pedals well. Again, they both are great amps and have many Vox like qualities, but you really can;t beat the Div by 13 IMHO.

10. Lamont

Lamont Member

I totally agree-Divided by 13 amps have a magic about them that is hard to really discribe-but it has the goods w/o a doubt.Live life to its fullest,there is allways less exspensive amps out there that do a damn good job but the fine line between good and great does exist and just like Blues Pearl makeing a close and cost effective Deluxe Reverb back in the day(wheres my $1k RH ??)-side by side the differance is more then evident.Like the Two Rock sig series,you'll spend the $$ but its sooooo well worth the ride.

11. bscepter

bscepter Member

I sure love my Hayseed, especially with the Mercury iron. I've drooled over the /13s, though, and I'm sure they're amazing amps. The Hayseed, however, isn't "modernized," really -- other than the 1/2 power switch and the defeatable MV. It's really just a component-for-component remake of the '63 JMI AC30 circuit, with the option of the EF86 front end (which rules, by the way). If possible, I guess I'd say play both and then decide.

But a Hayseed through a pair of Blues (again, with the MM Woden OT) is about as close as you can get to a JMI AC30 without dropping three or four grand.

12. Richards

Richards Silver Supporting Member

Ela re Malaka agorise to "Div by 13", then the vres kalitero!!! S'Hariteria, PAOK #1

13. Myron Stratis

OMG,
    ha ha ha ha! :)

14. Myron Stratis

So the RSA 31's two channels are closer to the normal or brilliant channel of an original Vox AC30? I am asking because I a mainly interested in the normal's channel voicing (I am planning to use lots of pedals in there:))

15. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I've heard the best tones with jumpered channels. Honestly, I think that for overall value the Hayseed is the way to go. The /13 is twice the price. Plus you can get some great options on your Hayseed.

16. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Trust me on this one, if you go for the /13 RSA 31, get the smallbox head which is only the Bass, Mid, Treble, Volume channel. You get everything you'll ever need plus a half power switch if Vox tones (classic and current) is what you're after.

I didn't think the click channel on the RSA 31 was that good. It is definitely NOT like the click channel on my FTR 37 or on the RSA 23 I am currently playing.

I ended up selling my RSA 31 mainly because it was hard for me to have $2500 tied up in an amp I'm only using occasionally. My FTR 37 gets all the work. Second, because the click channel didn't do anything for me.

I am thinking about getting another one this year (small box version) because those sparkly, chimey Vox cleans are hard to get out of my head. Additionally, the TMB channel SCREAMS when you turn it up. All the Vox/Brian May tones you could ever want. Very articulate and so evenly balanced. Sounded great by itself or in a band situation.

That's just my take on the 31. Never heard the Hayseed but they look like outstanding amps as well.

-Rich

17. Myron Stratis

Thanks Rich. I don't know yet if the first channel of the RSA 31 is closer to the Vox Normal or Brilliant channel. I'e played some Vox amps and I can say that I didn't care about the way the Brilliant channel behaved with pedals, I much prefered the Normal. I wish I could try an RSA 31 and see how I would like it's responce with pedals...