DIY Celestion alnico blue recone info

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by dewman, Dec 6, 2014.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Hey I've located some recone kits for Celestion alnico blue speakers online. I am planning on reconing a Chinese alnico blue (not new, and I'd like to swap the original cone for the H1777 in the process)

Does anyone know if these kits are the H1777 branded cone?

2. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Dunno, but unless they are sourced straight from Celestion, they will be aftermarket ones (duh) so not necessarily bad but also not exactly the same.

Paper cone making still is something of a black art (literally, cone pigment is soot/carbon black).

If they are dead, recone them your way, there's nothing to lose, but if they work fine and you just want to experiment .... not a good idea.

You might end up with less than you started with.

3. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Yeah dead. But I bought them to recone. I just with I could even see picts of the cone in the kit....oh well. Guess I'm shipping it off to a pro. I just wanted to learn how to do this. Videos on reckoning on YouTube appear straightforward, at least for straight swaps of the same cones and voice coils

4. pdf64

pdf64 Member

A recone with the Celestion kit is pretty easy to accomplish.

5. Kurzman

Kurzman Supporting Member

Just send an email or call the place that's selling the kit and ask them.