DIY Custom EXP preset switch for Neunaber pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamontoast, Feb 17, 2015.

1. jamontoast

jamontoast Member

[​IMG]

Here's a nice easy project for people who are in to pedal DIY!

The preset switch lets you access the preset 1/2 swap function accessible via the EXP socket. Cut up a standard (non-crossover) cat5 cable and wire it up to a DTDP footswitch and an LED and it'll let you access 2 saved presets and toggle between them.

Set your knobs and press the preset switch, this will access bank 2. Set the knobs again and now you can toggle through your 2 saved presets. Each one recalls until the knobs are turned. When you toggle out of 2 back to 1, 2 is saved and 1 is loaded and so on.

Build using info taken from here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dtP4e3Sp2izZ9LJ1SC9TPAYDjfYPpU8mbfK4Lh-GG54

[​IMG]

Anyone else tried custom Neunaber stuff?

dickjonesify likes this.
  2. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

nice, especially the drawing, I have plans to build my own exp in the future, but its gonna be full featured, while still using 2 switches like the neunaber one.

I'm assuming that you connected the voltage supply to the + side of the LED, and the - side to the switch correct?

coltonius likes this.
  3. jamontoast

jamontoast Member

Yep, that's right about the LED. Just have to find one that's bright enough with only 3.3 volts. I might add a cat5 socket later, for now the epoxy will have to hold the wire...

I wouldn't mind one that switched effects, but I find just having the presets is pretty amazing. Great pedal.

4. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

I'd try either a blue or white LED, they are typically brighter by nature, however, a recent build that I did, I used 4 different LED colors and used 4.7k resistors for all of them, and honestly the green LED seemed to be the brightest of the 4 (yellow,green, blue,red).

5. dmutter

dmutter Member

How hard do you think it would be to make one of these with the two switches but without all of the Expression jacks? Cat5 in, Effect Select, and Preset Select.

6. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

Easy

7. dmutter

dmutter Member

Nice. I have the Nuenaber EXP already, but am toying with a pretty decent downsize of my board and would have to squeeze this to the size of a mini pedal if I did.

8. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

There's a bit of a trick, if you want to have all 4 sounds plus the 2 presets for each, you'll need to add a third switch to accomplish this. That's the easy way to do it. The hard way is to get a counter chip and a momentary switch so that it counts up through the banks. It would be totally doable in a mini enclosure then (sans expression jacks as you've indicated).

This guy did exactly that:
    http://jameslow.com/2014/11/15/custom-neunaber-exp-controller/

I was gonna do the same, except I planned on building 2, retaining the expression jacks, and combining them both into a DPC5 style enclosure with true bypass loops, so it would've been a tb looper with 2 ExPs. Thought it would've been rad, then I got a nemesis and am planning on getting the new reverb once it's out, so that idea went out the window for me. I've got the special counter chips for it, let me know if you'd like them, I've got no use for them now.

dmutter and dickjonesify like this.
  9. dmutter

dmutter Member

Thanks, I'll let you know if I end up going this route!

10. jamesdlow

jamesdlow Member

Hi, thanks for sharing a link to the custom ExP. Thought I'd just share that I've since done a new one in a powder coated enclosure with a socket and with the expression out.

[​IMG]