DIY Dyna Comp mods?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by burner, Jan 26, 2008.

1. burner

burner Member

Does anyone know any, or have links to DIY Dyna Comp mods?
    I'm looking for info on how to do these mods/parts etc., not where to buy a kit.
    Thanks

2. burner

burner Member

Bump to top............

3. MudPies

MudPies Member

also quite interested in this

4. the recluse

the recluse Member

From what I understand, the newer model dynacomps are contructed with SMD components, making them incredibly difficult, if not impossible for the average person to modify.

If you have an older model do a google search for Dynecomp mods there is a ton of info out there.

Geofex, General Guitar Gadgets, Diystompboxes forum are all good places to start.

5. burner

burner Member

Maybe I'm missing them but my searches have come up empty.
    I don't have any trouble finding people selling mod services, however. :)

I'm technically proficient enough to do any mods.
    Particularly,I'm interested in the T-von mod. A friend of mine sent his in and had it dome and I really like the way it sounds.

6. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Member

In terms of mods, there is a resistor that can be changed to modify the release time. This mod is often called attack, though:confused:. You can put a pot or switch to get different settings. I haven't tried that one, myself.

What I noticed in my 1979 Dynacomp after I got it working was that it had a certain harshness and distortion. There were a lot of poor quality caps (tantalum and ceramic) which I replaced with film/polystyrene. I also added more filtering, which is what the Ross compressor does to the Dynacomp circuit. I actually used 33 mfd caps which I saw on the Way Huge Ross clone. Both these changes made it sound a lot better and eliminated the harshness and distortion.

Of course, I made it true bypass and added an LED!

So, you might experiment a bit with the coupling caps and try to get a Ross schematic to try some of those ideas.

7. hrowe

hrowe Member

8. burner

burner Member

Because I'd rather drive all the way across town to buy the parts for $4 just to prove a point. ;)

Thanks for the tips and links!
    I'll chew on those for a while.