DIY effects noob - need guidance

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DrOctagon, Feb 16, 2012.

1. DrOctagon

DrOctagon Member

Hey guys I'm looking to start building my own pedals, not for profit, just for fun. I'm familiar with BYOC but I'm wondering if this would be the best way to go if I intent to be building from scratch relatively soon. I want to make a pedal I'm really going to love so I wa.t to choose a good circuit that I can tweak if I don't like what comes out the first time. I figure to start with some kind of distortion or OD, preferably a fuzz, and I'm thinking this would be the easiest place to start. Even an A/B/Y box as I'd like to blend channels on my Vox but I'm a complete noob and have no idea where to start. If anyone has any good links or tips on how to get started I'd be very thankful

2. Magicpad

Magicpad Member

I've built 3 pedals from BYOC so far and it's awesome.... the instructions are great, and the finished pedals sound amazing. It's like an adult Lego set...... very addicting!!

3. Magicpad

Magicpad Member

Oh, and if you want a simple project to start, I highly recommend the 2 knob byoc Tonebender clone..... the best sounding fuzz I've ever used

4. RBfan

RBfan Member

Yup, totally agree - my 1st attempt at building. Came out great & sounds sooo good. Don't know about tweakability, but I don't think you need to with this circuit, it sounds great.

BYOC does have an A/B/Y kit, but IIRC it may be more than you need; I think General Guitar Gadgets has a more simple version. My next kit will be the BYOC true bypass looper, can always use a looper & looks pretty easy.

T

5. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I've done a couple of GGG pedals, the screamer with boutique mods and the bluesbreaker and they both are nice. Fairly easy to build.

Go for it, great fun.

6. Gaetano Capuano

Gaetano Capuano Member

I am a builder, mostly hobbyist/hack, I would say simmer down and build your first one from a BYOC kit. You sound very ambitious which is great, but you will have tons to learn before you go tweaking and creating your dream pedal. Get an account on the BYOC forum, those guys will give you all the guidance you need. Plus its probably thee greatest online community as far as all around friendliness and awesomeness.

7. DrOctagon

DrOctagon Member

Ok thanks a lot guys I guess I'll start out with a BYOC and get a feel for the whole process. Maybe I'll start with the tonebender, is the mkII the one used by Mick Ronson on the Ziggy Stardust album? And when you say the aby would be more than I need, what do you mean? If anyone else has any BYOC recommendations bring them on, I'm looking on getting familiar with all types of circuits, what are some others you guys have had luck with?

8. DrOctagon

DrOctagon Member

Adult lego set, great analogy there's been a void in my life ever since I got too old for legos. This should be the perfect way to fill it.:rotflmao

9. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

Madbeanpedals.com is another great place if you don't mind sourcing your own components. Brian's PCBs are fantastic and he has some great circuits available.