DIY Fuzz Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wildschwein, Mar 20, 2008.

1. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I've been trying to build a fuzz face clone off the net and have been comparing a number of schematics and layout diagrams. Of course, every one I've looked at has slight differences. This one at http://smallbox.zeonhost.com/projects/fface/ looked like the easiest to me, so I've attempted to build it a couple of times and haven't had any real success - it bypassed fine but only gave me a very, very quiet signal when engaged. I just wanted to know if anyone with any experience in building fuzz face clones thinks this layout diagram looks right. The linked page with a downloadable parts list seems to suggest that this a PNP circuit, however it is running off positive power and a negative ground which seems to be the reverse of what the designer of the Axis Fuzz Face at http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/fuzzface.php recommends for PNP circuits. So, if this is the case the can capicitors in the first diagram may also be incorrectly aligned for a PNP fuzz. If it is the wrong way around for PNP would it be fine to use for a NPN circuit instead? Or more generally has anyone got any pointers for me on the first link's diagram that will help me to get the circuit working?

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Looks like the input capacitor is reversed.

3. K-man

K-man Member

Looks like he has his ground and power lines reversed as well.

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

That's because it's a positive ground circuit.

Check the Technology of the Fuzz Face article from geofex.com.

5. K-man

K-man Member

No matter whether you choose to wire the circuit as positive or negative ground, the big metal box is ground. You can't wire your power signal through ground and expect any power to get to the board.

That schematic shows the negative battery terminal wired to the ring of the input jack, and then the sleeves of the jacks (which is your ground plane because the sleeve is in contact with the metal enclosure) is wired to the board where the power supply is supposed to go.

To fix that schematic, the positive terminal of the battery needs to be wired to the ring of the input jack, and the sleeves of the input and output jacks then need to be wired to the board where the red wire was going. The negative terminal of the battery then needs to be wired to where the sleeves of the jack (the white wire) were going.

Also flip the direction of the 2.2 uf cap as previously mentioned.