• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

DIY Guitar Case Humidification

riker4208

I don't feel like buying a $25 dollar sponge from someone.

I was wondering if you guys think there is anything wrong with this set up? The sponge is completely wrung out and just damp. The bag has little fork holes in it. I guess I still would need a humidistat to see if I'm at 40 to 50 percent humidity.

EADGBE

I did something like this once. I put a wet sponge in one of my solid body's guitar case. I placed it below the headstock. Long story short the headstock wood swelled some. So much so that one part got bigger than the rest of it. Anyway that was the last time I tried that. Now I just humidify the whole home.

Last edited:

riker4208

Cool thanks, that was my fear, I'm using a big piece of sponge as well so that probably translates to too much. Maybe just a tiny piece would do the trick.

My acoustic produces wolf tones as the humidity drops. When I added this sponge the other day it noticeably helped that situation

PB Wilson

I used to use a wrung out sponge in a perforated Kodak plastic film cannister. Worked well enough to ward off cracks and sprung fret ends for decades.

Jpower79

Damp sponge into Ziplock bag, suspended from strings by a paper clip.

Viola'

Otherwise I've been using Cigar humidpacks, they run like $3 at my cig store and last a couple months each. You can pick the level you want (for instance I keep the humidity in my humidor set around 70 during the winter and 62 in the summer).

Those packs work great.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I did something like this once. I put a wet sponge in one of my solid body's guitar case. I placed it below the headstock. Long story short the headstock wood swelled some. So much so that one part got bigger than the rest of it. Anyway that was the last time I tried that. Now I just humidify the whole home.
That's always been a concern for me. My acoustics haven't cracked yet, so I'd rather not mess with them. I did buy a whole house humidifier but it's broken already.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom