DIY Pedal Board - Local places for "carpet"?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BarnabyHooge, Jan 29, 2008.

1. BarnabyHooge

BarnabyHooge Member

I'm looking for a local source of hook and loop compatible fabric.

I've seen the stuff on Srompin' Ground but for the size I need the shipping will be more than the fabric, and that bugs the crud out of me.

I've tried Menards, but the only stuff they has was a little too thick in the nap. I tried calling the Best Buy car audio dept, but they won't even answer their stupid phone, and I doubt they make custom speaker boxes.

Is there a fabric out at a regular craft/fabric store that would work?

I've got everything I need to finish off my board and I'm growing impatient. Any ideas?

2. dancehall

dancehall Member

I'm confused, why aren't you just buying velcro?

3. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

Question: Where do you buy just the hook part of the velcro? You can get felt at a fabric store and that works pretty well, but I've never seen 1/2 of the velcro (the hook) sold by itself...

4. r080

r080 Member

I don't know about local, but I searched "hook and loop fabric" on google, and a couple hits were companies that sell it for the display industry. Try asking for a 1 yard sample on behalf of your employer.

5. BarnabyHooge

BarnabyHooge Member

Actually, I think I'm looking for the loop side (fuzzy).

I tried the google search but A. no one is selling in smaller quanties (I didn't think of the sample scam) and B. I'd rather be able to just go pick it up. Its a small board so i only need a peice 12" x 17" or so.

I'll go check out felt, see if it would work. I'm hoping theres something better though.

6. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

Yeah, I guess I didn't make myself clear. I wondered where you got the other half without buying the regular velcro.

7. BarnabyHooge

BarnabyHooge Member

I have both side of the velcro. I would just prefer to have the whole board covered in the carpet, like the NYC boards.

8. juice

juice Member

I used the carpet used in building speaker cabinets like you might find at PartsExpress or Crutchfield. Works just fine.

9. greatbigz

greatbigz Member

Barnaby - sent you a PM

10. Home Grown Tele

Home Grown Tele Member

Try a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet. You can get it at any hardware store like Home Despot, Lowes, Aubuchon, etc.

I bought a piece for a home built board awhile back and it worked just fine for me.

11. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

The finest pedalboard carpet in the world ever can be found at musicians' heaven:

TOY R' US

[​IMG]

12. armoredfist316

armoredfist316 Member

Ive used just plain old berber carpet from lowes. They have it in runners (for carpeting stairs) so you can get that and dont have to buy a huge piece.

13. 20mc

20mc Member

I've always used automotive carpet from o'reilly's or autozone. Its usually like <$10 for a roll.

14. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

15. BarnabyHooge

BarnabyHooge Member

thanks, I'll check HD and Autozone.