DIY Pedal Builds - Why no Surface Mount parts?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MetalGuitard, Oct 21, 2008.

1. MetalGuitard

MetalGuitard Member

I know there's some obvious reasons why people don't use surface mount components in pedals, especially for the DIY-er. That said does anyone know if a pedal built of traditional thru-hole parts VS. surface mount parts of the exact same material/electrical properties would sound different?

For those that don't know...
    These are surface mount
    [​IMG]

These are Thru Hole
    [​IMG]

2. Memorex

Memorex Member

If the components were identical values and materials, the resultant sound would likely be very similar. Surface mounting is done entirely by machines, and is actually common in some mass produced pedals and modelers. But it's very difficult to surface mount tiny components by hand, which is why DIYers don't do it that way.

3. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Some (big) manufacturer's do it's all about cost .
    Small guys aren't going to use surface mount because it is a PITA, hand wired stuff is far easier with the traditional leg mount.
    The component quality inside most pedals is pitiful which has always amused me considering the die hard point to pointless brigade seem to unquestioningly use them and slag off PCBs and board mount pots in amps.

Also shouldn't this be in the FX section?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  4. MetalGuitard

MetalGuitard Member

I couldn't decide if it belonged in the FX or Tech section. I decided via coin-toss...

I recently opened a couple Boss pedals ( the V-Wah and the DD-3 ) and they were mostly surface mount. I've done surface mount repair and rework before and I guess it definitely isn't for the novice but it's totally do-able as long as you use the larger parts ( ie 1206 sized ). I know the machines that place the thru-hole parts are very capable and I'm sure Boss/Behringer/Digitech get the most out of them. I guess I'm more curious than anything how different the same circuit would sound in a surface mount vs thru hole format. I wouldn't suggest anyone do more than simple boosts, etc by hand with surface mount. Once you get into IC's it would be retarded unless you used the larger types with sockets.

I suppose the other major obstacle would be getting the PCB made. Maybe I'll have to look ionto this.

5. Structo

Structo Member

It just seems logical that a surface mount pcb will be a bit quieter.
    Being down nearer to the plane of the circuit board would tend to make it less susceptible to RF noise.
    That's just my opinion.
    But like said, it would be a PIA to try and build one by hand.