DIY pedal content

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gregit, Apr 23, 2008.

1. gregit

gregit Member

Just curious as to how many folks hang on their DIY pedals even though they don't use them. I can't seem to take my BYOC phaser off the board as I feel it's my child. Maybe a visit to Dr. Phil is needed.

2. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

I have several I don't use anymore but have never tried to sell any so I just keep them around. I figure I'll cannibalize them for parts eventually.

3. KCWM

KCWM Member

I'm actually interested in some of the BYOC kits. I've never bought one because I didn't think my skills with a soldering iron were good enough, but I've gotten a good deal better. I also like the idea of being able to paint them however I want.

I'd buy a BYOC pedal if I knew for sure that it worked with no issues.

4. charmboy

charmboy Member

I "learned" how to solder by watching a 5 minute youtube video and by building the free BYOC confidence booster kit. A day later my BYOC tremolo was built and sounding incredible. 3 months later, it's still on my board and not going anywhere. I'm now about to build a BYOC Mouse.

5. gregit

gregit Member

My BYOC phaser sounds incredible and I have little skill with an iron. The key (imho) is to use the lowest setting necessary to solder. High temp tend to fry the fragile components. Heat sink is a good idea. RS has them for cheap. Good luck!

6. KCWM

KCWM Member

Nice to know. I might purchase a compressor kit from them to try.

7. jdavyd

jdavyd Member

diy is addictive, so be prepared.i started with byoc and have branched out to buying just boards and sourcing my own parts. i'm even looking at amp kits now.

8. Ed G.

Ed G. Senior Member

Actually, with a good hot iron, it is safer for components. I don't know if I can really explain this well, but I'll try. With a hot iron, the solder melts faster, and the components are exposed to heat for a shorter time. Because it takes time for the heat to travel up the 'legs' of the component, if you can hit the solder quickly, and be done, it will start cooling off faster, before the heat fully travels up the component.
    Of course, using something as a heat sink is also a good idea (hemostats, roach clip, whatever)

9. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

I just got a lazy sprocket and a confidence booster...
    I did part of the booster, then did a GGG MBB pedal.
    The MBB worked after I fixed my little mistake.
    GREAT sounding pedal. And a good first project too..
    The sprocket isn't so bad at all either.
    The booster isn't working, but I've modded the heck out of it.
    I encourage anyone to try a DIY pedal...I've not had this much
    fun in a long time and the MBB is KILLER.
    getcha good 30-40 watt soldering pen, and a cup of flux and go for it.
    Watch a few youTube vids on soldering and you are set.
    RGP

10. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

Painting it was more fun than building it:

[​IMG]

It's a GGG LPB1 clone I got for $33.
    Works like a charm.

11. joel98z

joel98z Member

They work.. My skills were medicore with an iron but I got my analog chorus in progress and going together smoothly.

12. thewex

thewex Member

yeah i agree with that, although building it was fun (and challenging) at the same time. i love my BYOC mouse, and dont see taking it off anytime soon. its an extremely versitile pedal. cant wait to build the next one (tri-boost)

13. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I suck with a soldering iron, and I managed to build two kits already. I did up a confidence booster, modded a bit, and a distortion + kit. Tomorrow I'm starting on a tremolo kit and a chorus kit. By the way....don't make the chorus kit your first attempt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

I felt the same was 5 months ago and 6 pedals built later. You can do it! Got to take a leap of faith. Start w/ one of the Fuzzes. they are the easiest.