DIY Pedal Rehousing Tutorials?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sputnikshell, Mar 25, 2015.

1. sputnikshell

sputnikshell Member

For almost a decade now, I own an Ibanez SM-7 Smashbox that eventually the ON/OFF Switch turned faulty and later developed other bypass issues as well. The pedal still turns on and makes sound, but it’s a hassle whenever I try to play with it. I’ve also tried to have it fix locally but the guy wanted $35 just for the labor, which defeats the purpose of getting the pedal fixed since that pedal does not cost that much right now.

Since the pedal is just sitting there collecting dust I figure I might as well turn it into a “Project” and rehouse the pedal myself if possible. Now, I have seen the inside of the pedal and it kind of looks a bit “complicated” and I am worried I will “F” this up.

Has anyone here on the TGP here ever rehoused one of these? If anyone has any info on how to properly rehouse a pedal or can post some links for some good online tutorials or sites that could help me make this happen, that would be so awesome. Any other help on the subject would be appreciated as well.

2. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Supporting Member

Can you post a picture of the inside of the pedal? The approach to rehouse will vary based on how the pedal is assembled (i.e. board mounted jacks/pots vs. wired).

3. sputnikshell

sputnikshell Member

Here are two shots. Let me know if you need another pic in another angle.[​IMG]

As you can see, the circuits are on top of each other. I don't know how I will be placing them on top of one another when I transfer them to a new enclosure, but I am willing to find out.
    [​IMG]

4. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Member

Honestly, this is probably not the best pedal for a first timer. It looks ime t will fit in a 1590b though

5. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Too wide(PCB) to fit a 1590B.

6. sputnikshell

sputnikshell Member

I hear you, but it's not like I have much to lose at this point with this pedal. The pedal has been sitting here collecting dust for a really long time. I even tried selling it but based on it's condition nobody wants it or nobody wants to pay more than $5 for the pedal as is.

My options as I see them I can do the following:
    1. Do nothing. The pedal will just sit here and collect dust until I decide to throw it away.
    2. Give it away. I would be okay with this but I don't know anyone who will want this pedal in this condition plus it's not like I want to just give it away for nothing in return.
    3. Try and attempt to fix this pedal myself which I really want to. That's why I am here asking for advise. Even if I screw up the pedal for good I will take this as a learning experience and it's not like this pedal is going anywhere.
    4. Throw the pedal in the ocean or do anything imaginable to the pedal that will ruin it for good. Not that I will, but even if I mess the pedal up by trying to fix it, at least I tried to save the pedal from being paper weight here at home.

Anyway, just saying. I still want to fix this pedal even if the probability of me screwing this pedal up for good is large. At least I want to try to fix it myself. Any help would be great.

I measured the exterior of the Ibanez pedal enclosure the dimensions are:
    long: 4 3/4 inches
    width: 2 3/4 inches
    height: 1 5/8 inches

The main circuit board inside is:
    long: 4 1/8 inches and 4 9/16 inches (at the power supply bridge part)
    width: 2 1/2 inches

Is it still too wide?

7. jnepo1

Still too wide and too long to fit inside a 1590B. The exterior dimension of the 1590B is 4.3" x 2.3".

8. americananalog

americananalog Member

I'm interested in this subject. Well known pedal makers want $200 to rehouse my old Arion delay.

9. americananalog

americananalog Member

What kind of enclosure is this? Plenty of room for a complicated circuit.

[​IMG]

10. sputnikshell

sputnikshell Member

So, what other options do I have?

11. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

I'd just attempt to fix the bad switch and forget rehousing it. I don't think its worth it, too many proprietary parts that are hard to come up with a way to mount into a Hammond type enclosure. If you do try it, maybe it would fit into a 1590bb, but that's probably still too tight. I'd look more into what it would take to repair the faulty switch rather than rehouse a pedal that went for $60 new.

12. sputnikshell

sputnikshell Member

That's a good idea, but the pedal also has developed other bypass issues. I am not entirely sure it's just the switch though I could just try that first for now and then if it has other issues then move on to fix that if possible. Thanks for you input!

13. sputnikshell

sputnikshell Member

JHS uses some wider enclosures for a DE-7 which has the same body size as the SM-7. Anyone know what enclosure is this?
    [​IMG]

14. jhspedals.com

jhspedals.com Gold Supporting Member

1590bb :)

15. sputnikshell

sputnikshell Member

Cool! Thanks man!

16. jnepo1

That is a 1590D

17. americananalog

americananalog Member

Thanks!

18. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

[citation needed]

:munch

19. americananalog

americananalog Member

Haha!:rotflmao

20. Coda11

Coda11 Member

1590BB hammond enclosure.
    They are the same length as 1590B enclosures when put verticaly.

However, this does not seems an easy pedal to rehouse. I do not know what switching system they use, but it does not seems to be a 3PDT...