DIY re-glue binding on an acoustic?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jdogric12, Apr 30, 2015.

1. jdogric12

jdogric12 Supporting Member

Hey gang. I've got a '98 Guild DC-1E NT HR the binding is coming off of. What can I use to reglue it? Plain old Gorilla Glue or something more serious? Thanks, J

2. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

little tite bond and tape should about do it. I'm not a fan of Gorilla glue since you have to mix it and it gets messy when it expands

3. David Collins

David Collins Member

I would take it to a pro. I truly mean no offense by this, but asking if plain old gorilla glue is appropriate is a good indicator that you may be in over your head on this. If the loose binding you're concerned about is at the waist area, then you would likely be in way over your head. It's usually cheaper to get it fixed right the first time, than to mess it up on a first attempt DIY project and have to pay a pro to fix mistakes later.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

+1

gorilla glue, electrical tape and WD-40 are three things i think of as having no place in guitar repair.

5. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

If your binding has broken loose that can be a symptom of an over humidified guitar, where the swelling has caused this to occur. Not a bad idea to check if any internal braces are loose also. And reconsider how and when your guitar is humidified...just a thought.

6. jdogric12

jdogric12 Supporting Member

Just stirring the pot with the GG comment - I would definitely not use that but was hoping it would spark some constructive replies! I've reattached headstocks successfully, so while I'm light years away from being a pro, I'm no complete novice either. I figure the wood glue I mix and use to reattach headstocks would be overkill, and probably not even right for plastic.

7. Iceman6937

Iceman6937 Member

I used plain old tite bond on binding that had shrunk and come away from the body. Easy cleanup and it is holding so far. Binding adhesives can damage the finish.

8. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Look on Youtube for Dan Erlewine videos on such repairs. Or go to the Stew Mac website and subscribe to their tech vids.

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

what sort of glue is that? (out of idle curiosity)