Django-style Gypsy Guitar at Rondo Music

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by sus4, Dec 19, 2005.

1. sus4

sus4 Member

I just saw this thing tonight:

http://www.rondomusic.net/djg1.html

[​IMG]

Looks great! I'm really curious about this thing. I wonder what it sounds like...and I wonder if a soundhole pickup would fit....

Daniel

2. colinm

colinm Member

I'm curious as well for any reviews out there... looks pretty neat for 200 bills (and a case too!).

3. sus4

sus4 Member

I didn't find any reviews any where. I asked on HC, too. Oh, well, I just picked up a different acoustic and can't justify another ;)

4. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Wow, that's a GREAT price. Wonder what the guitar sounds & plays like.

Saw THIS guy twice over the last two weeks:

http://stephanewrembel.com/

He is one of the most amazing musicians I have ever seen in my life. No lie. Talked to him for about 20 minutes. Super nice. Is out on tour with David Grisman right now.

I was considering taking lessons from him....and that got me jonesing for a Django style geetar (Django is one of my 3 all time faves). Can't really show up with my SG and be taken seriously. :D

I've been looking at these:

http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/products.asp?CategoryID=2&FamilyID=2&BrandID=13

But they are obviously a sizable investment.

Anyone have any input as to any of this?

Thanks!

5. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

The Saga guitars are great and really not at all pricey compared to many. Most truly fine Gypsy guitars start at about 3000. I run into a lot of guys playing the saga stuff and they sound great. Wrembel is haunting!!!

Good luck. Take a shot at it!

Best

Shawn

6. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Yea, I know that most Gypsy guitars are $3k, but $900 for a guitar that really is a "niche" for me, is still steep (I'm still explaining to my wife why I need all the guitars I have).

So this $200 Gypsy guitar is interesting.

It's like banjo. I'd love to have one, but I'm not going out to get a $3k Deering, and a $1000 one is still REALLY steep for something that I will not play on an everyday basis.

Yes, Stephane is unbelievable. I haven't really seen anyone with technique like that before that didn't sound masterbatory. Stephane somehow is always musical even when he's playing the most ridiculously fast things.

...actually, just like Django was. :cool:

7. Marcello

Marcello Member

8. dirtypool

dirtypool Member

Amersfoort, near Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Europ
  9. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

10. dirtypool

dirtypool Member

Amersfoort, near Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Europ
    Thanks for that cool link.
    I'm gonna get my first lesson tomorrow since 22 yrs and the guy is taking lessons from Lollo Meyer
    Although I love classical music for guitar, gipsyswing is what haunted me since I woke up one day and the radio played the Seresta album by the Rosenberg Trio for a couple of days..

11. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Those are amazing. Wow. I have never seen Django actually move. I didn't even realize there was film footage of him with sound. :eek:

I'd like to see as much of that as possible. Is there anywhere else that you dan actually SEE him play?

12. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

The site is French but it looks like you can order DVDs.
    I had never seen him or Stephan Grapeli (sp?) before either and with so much mentioned about them it was a great find. I'd like to see the DVDs.

13. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

$200 with what looks like a pretty darn good case? Wow. I was looking to see if the guitar was actually made of wood :lol:. Says it is. This would be fun to have laying around the house a the very least. I would like to hear something from someone who actually bought one.

Peace,
    duffy

14. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Yes, it would. For $200 it would have to be really bad not to be worth it..... :D