DL-4 + Exp. pedal users ... what are your presets?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shakkal, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

I just got an expression pedal for my DL-4 and I'm overwhelmed by the possibilities. A search didn't find anything that addresses this particular topic.

To those who use their DL-4s with an expression pedal, what are your presets, heel down / toe down?

Thanks!

2. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

Nobody? Well, here goes the first and last bump ...

Right now I'm playing with the Sweep Echo ... low mix, few repeats, and low sweep with heel down, and high mix, high sweep level and almost self-oscillation with toe down ... really cool, usable stuff.

3. Kingofguitar

Kingofguitar Member

I have one setting on the tape echo, with one end (of the ex. pedal) having a medium delay, and the other end having a really short delay with a LOT of repeats so it trails out and loses all bottom end. Another setting i have a stereo delay with one end set to sound like an epic U2's The Edge delay, and the other end with a lot of repeats to create a wash of trailing notes or whatever. 3rd setting is a ping pong delay with one end having very short delay time so it sounds like you're in a large bathroom, and the other end with a classic ping, pong, ping, pong.... I run a stereo setup, so the stereo delays and ping pong work nicely. If you're in mono, might not work as well, but maybe I gave you some ideas... ???

4. KRosser

KRosser Member

1) Short analog delay with the mix mostly dry. Toe down increases the repeats

2) Long digital delay with heavy modulation, set about 50/50 dry/wet. Toe down increases delay time

3) Reverse delay, 50/50 wet/dry with about 6-8 repeats, about 1 sec. delay time. Pedal adjusts the mix control, so heel down is completely dry, toe down completely wet.

If I'm using the looper, I set the pedal to adjust the mix.

#1 is the wild card that gets changed fairly often, as I usually have an analog delay on the board as well. #2 & #3 have been set this way for years, #3 the longest. It's cool, it's not what most people use the Reverse for (a la the Hendrix 'reverse lead' vibe).

5. lukeness

lukeness Member

can you use a volume pedal for the expression pedal?

6. lukeness

lukeness Member

Actually, I have another question... how do you "set" the parameters for the toe-up / toe-down?

7. KRosser

KRosser Member

Very simple. It's in the manual.

8. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

Thanks guys ... some neat ideas there! I currently have two presets for the more "normal" delays and only one for the wacky stuff but I think I'll dedicate two presets for wacky sounds now that I have the expression pedal.

9. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

This thread inspired me to plug my Moog expression pedal into my DL-4. I knew I could do it, but hadn't gotten around to it. Lots of cool sounds available.

One small issue: I'm having trouble keeping the same delay time for toe-down and heel-down. I'd really like it to work with the tap tempo so that I could set a delay time with the tap and then use the expression pedal to control # of repeats and mix. As it is, the tap tempo only seems to apply to the pedal position that is set when I tap it. Is that behavior normal?

How is the Line 6 expression pedal? My Moog pedal is not particularly sturdy.

Bryan

10. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

Anyone???

11. Bryan T

An expression pedal basically is a volume pedal. If you are using a normal mono volume pedal with a mono in and a mono out, then you'll need an insert cable to use it with the DL-4. That cable will have a stereo plug on one end and two mono plugs on the other.

You also have to make sure the pedal has the correct taper and pot value. I think the Line6 pedal uses a 10K pot, though I'm not sure of the taper. Most volume pedals will have an "audio" taper and I suspect you'll want a linear taper.

Bryan

12. lukeness

lukeness Member

After my intial question and the mum that followed, I googled it. Seems like some people say you can use a volume as an expression pedal if you use a stereo to dual mono Y cable. However, all the info I found was regarding midi rack mount effects... no info on the volume pedal + DL4.

I'll try it when I get home... if I can find a Y cable.

13. lukeness

lukeness Member

Thanks for answering that! Beat me to it! With better info! Now, I wonder, if the volume pedal ain't gonna work.. (my Ernie Ball is 250k I believe)... then which expression pedal is good? The Line6 one looks so cheap.

14. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

Yeah, unfortunately that behaviour is normal. BUT, there's a couple of workarounds.

1) Use the rhythmic delay patch, and keep the delay time knob in the same general spot for the toe up and down positions.
    2) Set up your dealy sound for one extreme of the pedal (e.g. low setting of mix and feedback for toe up), set the tap tempo, then unplug and re-plug the expression pedal. This re-sets the pedal, and allows you to move to the toe down position withpout changin delay time. From there you can vary the mix and feedback settings while keeping the delay time constsant. the bad news is that you have to repeat the process if you want to change the delay time....

Its kindof a bummer that Line-6 made the expression pedal work this way.

Oj, and the Line6 expresson pedal is cheap...very flimsy. I'm looking at replacing mine with an Ernie Ball VPJr.

Cheers,

Kris

15. Bryan T

Yep, though I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Good to know. What is up with companies selling flimsy expression pedals? The Moog pedal is a lightweight, plastic piece of junk, too.

Bryan

16. lukeness

lukeness Member

Well, I made a stereo Y cable for my volume pedal.. to use as an expression pedal for the DL4.

It worked!

I used my Ernie Ball Volume... the regular one. Now I'm thinking of buying another one.

Is the VP Jr just thinner? Or is it smaller width and height?

17. selahvie

selahvie Member

Question: The one complaint I have about my DL-4 is the # of presets available. If I'm understanding this correctly, can you effectively double the # of presets by adding the expression pedal? I probably wouldn't do much realtime movement with the pedal, but to have 3 extra presets would make it worth the board real estate. Anyone?

18. lukeness

lukeness Member

I believe you can.. but only 3 different types of delay will be available. You can't change the delay model with the expression pedal. And when you step on the button... the delay that comes up will be the heel-down by default.

So..... if you click on preset #1 and put the toe-down, you can have a differnt setting, as long as it's the same delay model.

But!... if that's your reasoning for the 3 extra patches... you can also have another 3 by leaving the expression pedal in the middle position... Technically speaking, you can have unlimited amounts of presets then.

19. Bryan T

It isn't quite like adding three more presets, but it is close. The expression pedal lets you set up two versions of each preset and move between them with the pedal. So, for example, you can have an analog delay as one of the presets. With the heel down you can have a short analog delay with one repeat and with the toe down you can have a long analog delay with infinite repeats. Any/all of the knobs: Delay time, repeats, tweak, tweez, and mix can be controlled with the expression pedal.

Bryan

20. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

You could also build a box with a switch connected to the expression pedal jack. The switch would toggle between straight through and a 10K resistor (the value of the expression pedal pot). It would make the switching between "bank A" and "bank B" quicker than with the expression pedal. Switching the 10K resistor on would be the equivalent of "toe down".