dl-4 vs. dd-20

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dingdongbell070, Jan 27, 2006.

1. dingdongbell070

dingdongbell070 Member

For a long time i have wanted a dl-4 but recently i have been reading the reviews on HC, and they are starting to scare me. From what i read this things are extremely unreliable. I have played with one at guitar center and the tone and set-up are exactly what i need and want. Is it worth it to check into the dd-20 just because of the reliability factor? anyone out there have a good experience with the dl-4? how does the dd-20 compare in sound quality? reliability? and the general layout of the pedal? thanks

Joel

2. lanervoza

lanervoza Member

i found the DD-20 boring compared the DL-4. The lin6 models are more inspiring.

3. D.G.

D.G. Member

I have not played the DD20, but I did briefly own the RC20 Loop station. I thought the buffer was a tone sucker, and I couldn't use the looper for my looping style, so back it went. I've owned 3 DL4's and one of them crapped out on me (which is when I tried the RC20) but the other two are still going strong. I mainly use the looper setting, but I do use some of the delay models for specific tunes. I've never had any tone-sucking problems with it, though I always have a good buffer on early in my fx chain, so that might do something.

FWIW, a friend of my who's ears I trust prefers the DL4 to the DD20 for the same reasons I preferred the DL4 to the RC20.

4. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I have both units and I like the DD-20 better. While I've never had a problem with the DL4, I just think it adds some sort of uglyness to my guitar sound. It's a lot more versatile than the Boss, but every preset mixes in a little bit of that digitalness that I hate. I like the DD-20 for a simple sounding delay and also for its modulation delay. I also have a TTE and Chandler digital echo so I definitely would not bother with the DD-20 if I didn't think it was a great sounding delay.

Kenny M.

5. dingdongbell070

dingdongbell070 Member

for some reason i was under the impression that the dl-4 was true bypass? am i wrong?
    thanks for all the info so far can the dd-20 do some of the crazy like long delays for slow lead lines where it just sounds like the note is dragging on forever kinda like reverb but not really...anyone know what im talking about? srry i dont know how to explain

oh yeah, and i dont really care about the looping side of the dl-4 because i have an rc-20xl loop station

6. JimiB

JimiB Member

"can the dd-20 do some of the crazy like long delays for slow lead lines where it just sounds like the note is dragging on forever kinda like reverb but not really"

yes, it has a really good sounding (imho) memory man setting that is fairly tweakable.

7. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

One thing to note about the dd-20. If you run it on battery power and the batteries ru nout, the dd-20 does a "reboot" ever 2 seconds or so. It is very annoying and forces immediate action :)

I like mine a lot. The way it smoothly switches from one delay setting to the othe is nice as well.

8. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Watch Phil Keaggy do it and youll change your mind i think about it being cheating.....The guy is an unreal talent. He even sings into it and harmonizes with himself

9. dingdongbell070

dingdongbell070 Member

yeah i have seen phil keaggy live...the guy is amazing...im jealous it made me wanna throw my guitar away and go live in a cave...

anyways....back to my question...dl-4, true bypass or tone sucker...?

10. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I've had both and I prefer the DD-20. You need to use the power supply or the new PP2+ because it eats batteries quickly!

11. mcflymcflymcfly

mcflymcflymcfly Member

the dl4 has the "alternate bypass" i think they say its true bypass too, only thing i notice is the slight volume drop when you kick it on, of course sending it into keeley fixes that problem.
    anyone know if keeley replaces all the red lights with blue ones on the dl4 :D:D because that would rock hehe

12. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Yea he does replaces the lights, It looks AWESOME on my pedal board.

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Only used the DD-20. Love it. Very versatile and if the looping thing is not an issue (which by you it obviously isn't), then I don't see why anyone would go for a DL-4 over this simply due to the probability of your DL-4 crapping out.

Try 'em both out in the store and see for yourself. The DD-20 also has the added advantage of
    1) an excellent display
    2) you can put it in bypass mode and then turn it back on, and it'll have the same tempo that you last tapped in. For some strange reason, the DL-4 will go back to the tempo saved in its memory when you do the same action, meaning you'll have to retap in your tempo after you turn it on again. Very strange design on that point.

14. dingdongbell070

dingdongbell070 Member

more questions...I would go to guitar center to find this stuff out but they dont have a DD-20 in right now... is it hard to change from lets say patch 1 to 3 really fast or do you have to hit the pedal twice?

15. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The dd-20 has 3 modes it lets you set it at.

Mode 1 lets you press the right pedal to toggle from manual to preset 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 and back again

mode 2 lets you switch between manual and a given preset, which you can switch by pressing the select knob on the interface.

mode 3 is the same as mode 2, but you can switch the preset by pressing both pedals at the same time. I use this setting, and I believe most others do as well.

16. Elliott Damage

Elliott Damage Member

The DD-20's display is great. You can set it by ms and beats per minute.

17. dingdongbell070

dingdongbell070 Member

I've heard good things about hooking up an expression pedal to the DD-20 what does that do/control?

18. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

You can't hook up an expression pedal.

How the DD-20 functions is the right pedal switches memory presets. If you hold it down for 2 seconds, it'll become a tap tempo pedal.

As you can imagine, this sometimes isn't very practical. What you can do is hook up an external pedal and use that for tap tempo, thereby leaving the right pedal for memory switching

19. Chadley

Chadley Supporting Member

I have owned and used both extensively. I ended up with the DD-20 and an external tap tempo pedal (extra $15 or so). When I initially purchased the DD-20 I was really put off by its tap tempo functionality but the external switch has fixed that problem.

Effect wise, the DD-20 is more conservative than the DL4. I think it has a cleaner sound. There are fewer effects to choose from, but for a guy like me who wants a short analog/tape style delay and a long analog/tape style delay, I don't need any of the other ones.

The DD-20 does not color your sound like the DL4 does when engaged. Because of the backwards delay effects in the DL4 (which are pretty useless in my world), your signal goes through Analog to digital and then digital to analog conversion. There is also a very slight delay in your "dry" signal, which most people don't notice and amounts to the same effect you get by standing about 5 feet away from your amp. Many people notice the same thing when playing through a digital modeller (like a POD).

While the DL4 is true-bypass, when the effect is engaged it is converting your signal to digital. This was too much for me to handle.

One thing I love and hate about the DD-20 is how the delay continues on when you switch the pedal off or to another setting. This can be cool and it can be lame. I use very long ambient delays in a lot of songs....the kind that begin to self oscilate....and I would like to be able to stop them immediately and not have to reach down and turn the feedback control down. For this reason I have thought about putting my DD-20 into a bypass loop.

20. drolling

drolling Member

There's a certain faction of Line6 users that seem to take it as a personal insult when anyone says anything less than positive about their stuff. It's just gear, ferchrisakes. I loved my DL-4 till the day it died, digital artifacts and all. If someone could put out a reliable unit that did the "sweep", the "ducking delay" and the "reverse delay", along w/the simple, powerful looper that's the heart of the DL-4, I'd be all over it!

Never liked Boss delays, with the exception of the DM2 and their first digital pedal, can't remember the name...

Anyway, analog or digital, Boss & Line6 would be about my last choices..