DL-4... will there be a second version?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JoeyD, Nov 22, 2005.

1. JoeyD

JoeyD Member

Hello, I'm looking into buy a multi purpose looper/delay pedal and I'm stuck between the DL-4 and DD-20. Ive read a million threads about it so im not going to ask your oppinion on THAT matter, but I really do like how the DL-4 handles looping (and the abillity for 28 seconds of loop time... as opposed to the DD-20's 23). In any case, my concern is that the pedal is fairly old now, almost 5 years or something close to that. Does anyone know if they will be releasing an updated/upgrades delay multi-pedal in the near future? I'd rather wait for whatever they come up with next, as software modellers seem to get exponentionally better with time.

On a side note (and im asking this because I didn't see too much talk of it in other threads), I love using delays to make neat noises and such, but Ive found through tinkering that the DL-4's feedback always seems to turn any sound into a pre-programmed swirl no matter what I play. Also, by turning the delay time, (in analog or tape mode) instead of getting crazy pitch shifting and so forth, it just seems to transform whatever im playing into a bunch of bloops. Am I doing something wrong or is this a limitation of the pedal? My DD-3 seems to have more flexabillity in this department, and it's hardly a flexable delay.

Thanks, Joe

2. 6789

6789 Member

I get the best crazy sounds from the tape echo mode. I'll turn the delay and repeat knobs and the pitch goes higher or lower and eventually oscilates into a wild spaceman swirl.

the 28 second loops seem to be just as good of quality as the 14 second mode.

I don't know anything about a new version. I would doubt it since line six recently released the smaller sized line of pedals.

3. drolling

drolling Member

There WAS an upgraded DL-4, but in rackmount form, called the Echo Pro, IIRC. When my DL-4 died, I rushed out and bought one without doing my homework first.

I only used the looping function of the DL-4, and I loved it- so simple to operate, intuitive in it's functions- a really well thought out pedal. The Pro had expanded on many of the original features, increasing the loop time to 60 seconds- which was more than most anything else available at the time.

What I failed to understand till I set it up, was that it wasn't designed to be used w/a simple footswitch (altho' there are record/overdub, ect. buttons on the front) but rather a MIDI ground controller.

I traded it for a couple of cool fuzz/ODs to a buddy who ultimately sold it because he didn't like the way it worked in the FX loop of the amp he was using at the time.

It didn't cost much more than the DL-4, and I'd probably still have it today if it had worked w/my primative, lo-tech setup.

I'd like to know why they discontinued it. Anybody out there have more info?

EDIT: Joey, if it doesn't have to be Line6, you might want to check out those Boss & DigiTech loopers. The only drawback for your application is they're dedicated samplers w/no built-in delay

4. KRosser

KRosser Member

Whenever I've asked anyone from Line6 that question, I'm always told, "don't count on it". The pedal seems to be selling fine as is, I guess. I've had one for many years and use it all the time. I would personally highly recommend it, and would also highly recommend the Keeley mods and the Line6 expression pedal. Both of those turn it into a pretty powerful instrument

5. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

As was just said, the Keeley mods to the DL-4 are going to be your ticket to a "newer" version of the DL-4.

6. TomK

TomK Member

I have been using the DL-4 since day one but always in the FX loop of my amps or in-line after my POD and have never had a hint of trouble nor have I ever noticed the much flogged "volume drop" issues. So maybe I got a good one?

The pedal "is what it is" and I find it works pretty darn good for what I do. For cleaner delays I typically grab a rack piece and for warmer stuff I have an original EH Deluxe Memory Man.

I would seriously doubt that Line 6 would improve it but I would not put it past them to come out with a newer model like an upgraded Echo Park.

My biggest beef with the DL-4 is the weight and real estate it occupies - and with 3 (DM-4, MM-4, DL-4) on my pedalboard it gets kind of crowded!

7. basscracker

basscracker Guest

wonder if thats a DL-4?

8. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

28 sec?
    My DL4 only loops for 12.

9. drolling

drolling Member

Should be 14 secs in default mode. When you step on the far right button, the loop time doubles to 28 secs (and if there's a loop already playing, it'll play at half speed, an octave below the recorded pitch). It is a bit tricky tho'. That same switch reverses the loop direction (for backwards effects) if you press it twice.

10. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Yep, your right.. 14 not 12. I have had this pedal for a year and a half now and did not know it could do that. lol
    I'm a set it and go type of guy. lol