DL4 external tap tempo pedal mod??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by skylab001, May 8, 2008.

1. skylab001

skylab001 Member

So has anybody ever attempted this? I currently have the Delay Pro rack but want all pedals(no rack) in my setup, and since I have a couple other pedals that are attached to a single tap pedal I would prefer to have the external tap option on my delay.

Since I don't have the DL4 yet, and haven't been able to open one up, I was curious if anybody has ever modded one by adding an external tap jack to the pedal? In theory it seems like it should just be a switching 1/4 jack attached between the momentary onboard tap switch and the pc board but I have no idea if there is some other digital voodoo going on in there?

Anybody have any ideas?

I've also been considering other pedals, ie DD-20, and pigtronix echolution, both of which seem like decent pedals but the pigtronix would require an external tap mod too, and the dd-20, well I'm not sure how good the analog simulation is? I really need something that has a nice tapped delay, multiple beat subdivisions and that I can drive into echo madness when I need to ;-)

2. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Go with the timefactor - much more flexibility and presets. I do still miss some sounds of the DL4 though - the Low Res delay was awesome.

3. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I've never heard of this mod but it seems doable in theory. There're just two cables running to the tap switch, you'd just have to extend those cables out of the unit. It would leave that fourth button useless though, that's probably why I haven't heard of anyone doing this.

4. skylab001

skylab001 Member

thats why I was thinking of a 1/4 switching jack, it would leave the function of the fourth switch unless a plug was plugged into the tap tempo jack. Of course since I'm theorizing here it may not.

It's good to hear the switch is not PC mounted as I thought it might be. Gives this mod some hope. So there are just two wires going to the switch is that correct---or is it 2 wire bundles of say 2-3 wires each? Maybe if anybody has ever taken theirs apart and has pictures?

Time factor I forgot about that one, so it has a good sounding analog sim?

5. groovadelic

groovadelic Member

The tap tempo switch is mounted on the pc board with 4 lugs. So would it even be possible?

6. theonlychrisj

theonlychrisj Member

This may be addressed elsewhere, but in making the tap tempo external, will you be able to store 4 presets instead of just 3?

7. Chappo

Chappo Member

*EDIT* Just noticed how old this thread is. Whoops. Well if you're still wondering then here you go.

Hey,

Yes, I've done the external tap mod. I don't think it's possible to do without swapping out the switches as well (which is worthwhile by itself anyway).

Here's a clip on how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQxxVEc7CbU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And here's a clip on changing the switches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEDBrT63khQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Also, the onboard tap tempo will still work and it isn't possible for it to be a 4th preset as far as I know.

Here's how it looks on my board:

[​IMG]

8. Msboy2011

Msboy2011 Member

SELL IT FOR THE STRYMON TIMELINE!!!!!!!! FKHSDIGAHPIGHASFD NOW!!

I'm doing it :)