DL4 in front of amp or in the loop

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pdnaj, Oct 15, 2008.

1. pdnaj

pdnaj Member

Hi All,

Im a long time stalker without many posts.. That said, I've learned tons from this board as I've embarked on my own tonequest..

I've noticed that many many pros have been using the Line 6 DL4 on their boards for years.. I've also read a fair amount here about the importance of having delay and other time effects in the loop and not in front of the amp..

However, it appears on most of these pedal boards as though the DL4 is in front and not in the loop.. Are we to assume that these amps are set mostly clean and getting the overdrive/distortion from pedals that are before the DL4 or am I missing something??

Thanks for your help and thoughts..

2. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

The DL4 isn't able to take a line level signal, so it cannot be placed in most loops. It would probably work if your loop was instrument level, though.

3. Jkornel

Jkornel Member

I am curious about this too since I know a lot of people use them in the loop even though Line 6 says not too.

If it is not the first pedal in the chain (effect send--another pedal--dl4--other pedals--effect return) would this help since the line level signal is going thought something else first?

4. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

If you are running a mostly clean amp, having the DL4 in a loop that can take the DL4 does not make a big difference than running it in the front of your amp. Most people run it in their loops if their amp is dialed in to be overdriven. You CAN run it in your loop if you so choose - usually if your amp is dialed to be on the brink of saturation, you get a cleaner delay when you play harder.

5. Andre357

Andre357 Member

What kind of amp do you use ?? A dl4 ( and now the m13, which I'm using mainly for delays and reverbs )......sound fantastic through the loops on Budda amps for instance......

I beleive they are instrument level loops. Most loops are these days I think ?.......

Also, a loop will put the delay AFTER any preamp distortion from the amp, so in that way it will sound cleaner in a loop.

If your playing in front of a big clean amp and getting your od's from pedals - having it in the loop wont make as much of a difference.....

WELCOME TO TGP !!!!

6. pdnaj

pdnaj Member

i guess my question then is do all of these pros that i see that appear to have them in front of the amp and not in the loop play through clean amps or are they putting the DL4 in front of amps that are already distorting??

7. domis

domis Member

I think this is based on taste, some like it in loop and some not cause of the muddy/floaty sound it gets infront of the amp with amp pushed. There are no rules on how you should do it, but its for sure based on how you like it.

I have DL6 infront and DD20 in loop. Cause i like it :phones