DL4 problem

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mollusk-y, Mar 11, 2015.

1. mollusk-y

mollusk-y Member

I'm supposed to play my first show next week with my Line 6 DL4 that I bought on eBay maybe six months ago and suddenly today it started acting really weird. I've been Googling around and it seems like these pedals are really unreliable but I haven't seen any descriptions of the same problem I'm having, which is: signal comes through fine when the switches are disengaged (so I know my mic/cables/amp are not the problem), but as soon as I push any switch (on any of the effects) the lights go on (so I know the switches themselves are working) but suddenly no signal will come through. WHAT? Anybody have familiarity with these things? Would it be possible to fix myself? Am I totally screwed?

2. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

Unfortunately, you may have an expensive paperweight with pretty lights.
    I've stopped repairing and/or modifying them. Other companies have as well.
    Sorry I can't be of more help.

3. mollusk-y

mollusk-y Member

Thanks for replying. Plugged it in again today in hopes that it magically recovered overnight and...it did not. Damn. Ok. Now I know, I guess.

4. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

I'm always surprised what people will pay for broken stuff. I guess they love the challenge. Throw it up on Reverb.com.

5. King Rat

King Rat Member

Have you changed the bypass/buffer option when powering it up????

Are you sure the input/output cables are plugged into the right jacks????

Remove all the knobs, make sure the pots are all good then put them back on????

I have used a second hand DL-4 for 8 years+ and although it's never broken, it can act up from time to time.. a thoughrough trouble shooting always solved it....

6. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

Contact JHV3 and inquire about repairs. Or yes, you could probably sell it "as is / broken" to someone and get a few dollars. Depends on what you want to do with it.

Check your power supply. That is the biggest issue I have had with my DL4s. How are you powering it? And yes, double check you are connected to mono In/Left and mono Out/Left.

7. Onemileguy

Onemileguy Member

Had a dl4 for almost and decade, started doing the same funky problems you described, and they were intermittently... Grrrrr. Not fun to lose your signal in the middle of a show and have to unplug/re plug the power supply to reset and keep playing... I eventually sold it on eBay for parts/as is for around $100, I had also repainted a couple of weeks before selling it... I laugh now because I bought a Vox delay lab for $115 and it is an updated DL4 in almost every way imaginable. More delays, more presets, better switches, has reverb, easier control and tweak ability, sounds better....

Sell you dl4 as is on a long eBay auction (7-9 days) with no reserve, tell them it works but has reliability issues, take the money buy a new delay... There is no fixing it for cheap...

8. hendrixstrat

hendrixstrat Member

I had the same problem a few years ago..I found a factory reset procedure, and it's been fine since..Give this a try before sending it out for repair..

Reset:You can reset your pedal to the factory settings by powering it up with the A and D footswitches held down - the power is turned on and off on the modeler pedals by inserting a plug into the left mono input jack.

9. screwyloot

screwyloot Member

i had a similar problem with my DL4 where it intermittently stopped working. i dug something up online where it said sometimes the big IC chip gets loose. i popped it open and made sure the chip was set correctly (it seemed a bit loose) and it worked fine from then on. also, mine seems to prefer the big ass wall wart that comes with the unit to any other power supply.