DL4 settings for Subterranean Homesick Alien?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jrkoosh, Mar 15, 2008.

1. jrkoosh

jrkoosh Silver Supporting Member

I have pretty much stuck to the default settings of my DL4 for the 5 years I have had it, and am never able to really get this delay type of tone. Any advice? I am a big novice in the delay game

2. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

Are you talking about the opening riff, or the spacey stuff after the first riff? I'll see if I can mess around with mine when I get back home...I'm guessing you'd get the closest with either the Analog Echo setting or the Analog w/ Mod setting. I can get my rig sounding pretty close with my Memory Lane, but I haven't really tested the DL4 out like that yet.

3. jrkoosh

Thanks! Spacey stuff after the first riff.

4. thisfire

Ahh, haha...well the spacey part is more than delay, unlike that intro riff. I think he uses a Whammy and some sort of envelope filter (Mutron, I believe?). The DL4 is pretty versatile, but not that versatile :)

5. WorkingClassDan

WorkingClassDan Member

Not mutron. Most likely the 440 filter, whammy and a spacey delay.

6. jrkoosh

Ah yes, all the modulated stuff. I was going to work on that next, but I never know how to set delay times- are those short or long delay times that trail off? IS the mix up high on the delay pedal, so the wet sound is predominant?

7. thisfire

I saw some pics of his rig awhile back and I believe he used a rackmount Roland Space Echo and a Mutronics Mutator...and the whammy, of course. In any case, you should be able to get a pretty convincing replica of that sound with a DL4 and a whammy.

8. attiQwl

attiQwl Member

on Subterranean Homesick Alien he uses the small stone as well, that sound is pretty easy to dial in! :)