1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

DL4 swell feature ? .

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rockster12, Jul 4, 2006.

1. rockster12

rockster12 Supporting Member

I went and saw Phil Brown last night and he was using a DL4 with his rig and was using alot of the volume swell feature. It sounded great. I was wondering, does the DD20 offer this feature and/or, what other pedal will do this. I have several good delays/ echos, and not sure if I would want to unload one or two to get this effect. I have a TTE, deluxe memoryman, dd5, dm2. They all sound good. But, if I could find one that would give me what the Memory Man gives me and what the dd5 gives me, plus the swell feature, well I'm thinking that that may be the one to have. So far, I can tell that the DL4 could fit the bill but there seems to be reliability issues in the reviews. The DD20 seems to do everything pretty well and seems to be relieable but doesn't make mention anywhere of having this swell feature. Your input would be appreciated.

Jeff.

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'm not sure what the swell feature does, but maybe you can get the same effect with a boss SG-1?

3. MrSage

MrSage Member

Right, that's one thing...seems like it would be harder to control though.

I'm not sure if a reverse delay would do what you want...You would have to make sure that it's one where you can turn off the dry signal, though (I think analogman and keeley have mods for the boss delays to do this).

4. bigroy

bigroy Member

Swell feature is available on the Echo Park too. It's the only reason I bought one. I loved the swell on the DL4, but it proved unreliable. I have hum issues with the EP, so I'm still looking. Tried a Guyatone model, but it has some gating issues. Slow Gears are stupid money right now..

5. JoeyD

JoeyD Member

You have more then enough delay IMHO. The DD20 can't really get you where you want to be, but the use of a volume pedal in front of any of your delays (especially the TTE... yum) should do the trick. Not 100% the same, but thats what the swell feature was modeled after anyways.

6. MrSage

MrSage Member

The Guyatone SV-2 is a great Slow Gear substitute. As is the Build Your Own Clone Slow Gear clone.

7. Medication

Medication Member

I reccomend the Ernie Ball volume pedals. Very smooth swell. I use it for delay swells instead of my DL4 because you have greater control with the EB. Unfortunately, it does take up a lot of space. However, if all else fails, you can use the volume knob on your guitar.

8. rockster12

Well the vol. pedal isn't a bad idea. I guess I was just looking for a lazy way out. The dl4 did do the swell very well but I like the delays that I have.

9. rockster12

don't misunderstand, I don't use all of those delays on a gig. I am just saying that I have them. The Volume pedal just might be the way to go. Thanks.

10. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

I believe I invented that tone. I've not heard it on any recorded works before my CD.

11. Craise

Craise Member

Swell Volume, Swell Echo and Backwards are the only reasons I have a DL4 !
    The swell effects can't be found on any other product.
    Need more space? Get a Echo Park... simple.
    I have one...no hiss problems. Sounds better than the DL4 to my ears.
    Good Luck! :)

12. jbro

jbro Member

Personally, I find all those auto-volume-swell effects to be way too finicky when you're playing anything besides a slow monophonic line (and at that point, why even have them?). Pinky finger + guitar volume knob = much better control IMO.. or a volume pedal if you prefer to use your foot.

13. Craise

Craise Member

I don't know...YMMV but I have a setting (for the swell volume) on my DL4 and Echo Park that I've used for years.
    I like it because I can hit one button and my swells+delay sound perfect exactly the way I want them.
    I have no need or room for a volume pedal on my board.
    Plus you can't do the pinky thing when you play Les Pauls and SG's like I do. Anyway...to each his own! :) We all have different styles and needs.
    I was just relating to rockster12's question...in that there really is no other "effect box" that will do exactly what the Line 6 delay's will.
    :)