DL4 Switch Replacement

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by screwyloot, Apr 17, 2015.

1. screwyloot

screwyloot Member

anyone here done a DL4 switch replacement? was curious as to whether it made a difference which pads to wire when you replace the old mountain switch. all the switches are working fine except tap tempo, not sure if i have a grounding issue or if my wiring is off.

i followed the Mammoth video, where they wire them vertically. then i found this from Drasp and he says to wire them like this..

[​IMG]

doesn't seem to make any difference, as all the other switches worked except tap. if this is truly the correct way to do it, I'll desolder and re-wire, just wanted a heads up before i dive in.

2. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

No experience with the dl4, but it wouldn't hurt to try it out at this point

3. screwyloot

screwyloot Member

i also noticed some of my wiring on that tap tempo switch is dangerously close to the enclosure. perhaps a buffer of electrical tape or the like would help? still pretty noobish to the building/modding thing.

4. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

Video install on You Tube.

5. screwyloot

screwyloot Member

6. anuj

anuj Member

Did the same mod, fortunately no issues.

7. screwyloot

screwyloot Member

Do you happen to remember how you did the wiring?

8. anuj

anuj Member

I think I have photos somewhere - but I ran 'em along diagonal holes for each pad. Will try and dig 'em up once I get home. :)

[edit] Aah, here we go; this was my first time in a LONG time desoldering stuff, so I picked the holes least worn from the desoldering for each switch.
    [​IMG]

9. screwyloot

screwyloot Member

thanks anuj. the plot has thickened. Seems a resistor above foot switch 4 came off somehow. it's a tiny smd resistor, I've tried a few different values, but can't seem to find the right one. Any ideas? It's R32. So far I've tried 330ohms, and a 1k (both 1/8 watt) to no avail.

10. anuj

anuj Member

Ah rats, I'm not sure at all.

11. screwyloot

screwyloot Member

Thanks again. I just can't find a good pic of the board to find out the value of R32. It's printed right on too but it's super tiny and I can't zoom in enough. Hopefully someone can chime in.

12. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

See if you can attach alligator clips to each side and measure it with a multi-meter.
    You can't read the value using your lamp / magnifying lens combo (which you do have, right?)

13. c diddy 5000

c diddy 5000 Member

You definitely need to learn to use a multimeter for these purposes rather than guessing based off of what someone on the internet tells you. Also, look at the underside of the PCB and see which of the 4 holes have traces leading up to them.
    I did a similar switch replacement on my ground control pro a while ago, and it all came down to evaluating which 2 sides of the original switch corresponded to the each single pole on the new switch. I had to take 2 wires to each lug on the new switch. I wish I had a picture to illustrate what I'm describing.
    Ultimately, going off my past experience, it would seem that you need more than just connecting the diagonal connections.
    Good luck

14. screwyloot

screwyloot Member

unfortunately, I don't have the resistor that fell off. I didn't realize it was gone till the next day, must have got swept up. what I really need is someone with a DL4 opened up to have a look for me, or someone with a zoomed in picture of the board.

thanks Mr. Balmer!

15. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

Why don't you contact line6 and ask them what value it is, or if they can send you a schematic?

16. anuj

anuj Member

Line6 won't divulge that info.