D'Lite OD vs Ceriatone Overtone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by toneman335, Mar 11, 2008.

1. toneman335

toneman335 Member

How are the D'Lite OD and the Ceriatone Overtone similar and different tonally? Just wondering if these two amps side by side would sound very similar.

2. luv2playm

luv2playm Supporting Member

I've been wondering the same thing. :munch

3. toneman335

toneman335 Member

4. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

Theres a guy on the ceriatone forum who did a write-up on this i think

5. scottl

scottl Member

Which D'Lite?? They have how many new models of different circuits?? All different wattages and designs. They have a couple of different HRM models as well. This is a totally different circuit.

6. candh

candh Member

I think that would be me. :)

Listen to Scott. The D'lite has several iterations that appear similar but are significantly different. Even those building the basic '22 kit tend to rarely leave it as stock. I certainly fall into this camp as I have done quite a bit of tweaking to the original '22. The same can be said for my Overtone. Ironically as I work on both circuits the tweaked versions have a lot more in common regarding component values than the original layouts of both amps.

In keeping with the Dumble premise....these circuits beg to be tweaked to the individual so asking to compare the two is at best futile. A stock D'lite 22 and the stock Overtone are fabulous but very dis-similiar. A savvy tweaker could have one sounding very much like the other in no time though which means that either amp is a perfect platform for moulding it's voice to your character. If you're not willing to modify the circuit to YOU....pass, pay a little more and buy from one of the big dogs.

So, again, sorry...the topic of comparing a D'lite and an Overtone in terms of tone is....(no insult intended)....nonsensical.

ChrisL

7. toneman335

toneman335 Member

Can you explain what tweaks you did and the tonal effects?

8. candh

candh Member

Oh...man. No....:eek: Too much strain on my brain...lol. If you don't mind check out the ampgarage, brownnote, and ceriatoneforum sites for current and past threads on the subject.

9. scottl

scottl Member

Excellent post!!! Any of the "clones" can be tweaked to sound like any of the other "clones". I have heard good things about Nik's amp. I have heard even better things from those that tweaked it. Same goes for the D'lite. Nowadays, I believe the Brownnote guys are building amps far different than what people refer to as "D'lites".

This tweaking stuff can be way addictive!!

10. candh

candh Member

...ya don't say!!:AOK

11. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

such wisdom.
    haven't heard the overtone yet, but recently had a chance to taste a few D-'clones', one of which was a d'lite 44 bluesmaster HRM. swampiest D-style amp i've ever heard. pretty sexy. despite all the various switches and options on the glaswerks, gary's amp (despite all of it's other strengths) couldn't conjur up the sexy swampiness of the d'lite.

w/ the increasing number of D*mble and 'inspired' amps i've played over the past year and a bit, the one observation i'd make is the diversity of timbres and feel that each amp has had. the füchs amp notwithstanding, as the three different ones that i've played seemed very consistent amongst each other.

some have been rather difficult to play, but rewarded good technique while others were very forgiving and yet were still expressive amps to play. some were capable of sounding smoother than others. some had that nasal colouration that drives me crazy, but others are highly enamoured of. but they still had that characteristic 'hi-fi' sound that, to me, typifies the d*mble timbral paradigm.