DLS Echo Tap Delay!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sammy, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Sammy

Sammy Member

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'd hate to talk you out of a delay you might have really bonded with.
    There are plenty of reviews and mentions of this delay here, try a search,
    and you ought to look on:
    http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/DLS/Echo+Tap/10/1

Many opinions on this delay. It is well-made, has some interesting features, and lots of folks really love it. I tried, and it wasn't for me. I just didn't dig the delay sounds (using it mostly mono, which loses a little though) and had problems setting to the kind of delay I like to use.
    I use delay sparingly, have no need for tap-tempo, often use it low in the mix for short delays (longer than slapback, but not so there are two seperate notes) and for ambience. I don't do much U2 like delay stuff.
    I play blues and rock. Barely need a delay. I preferred the Nova Delay, the Deep Blue Delay, the DE-7, Reel Echo, and BYOC delay to this one...in roughly that order. Their products are really well built and designed, but I just didn't bond with the sound as much as I wanted to.

What do you want out of a delay, how will you use it, and what is important to you?

sorry...I didn't see the "see my post" I thought it was just another link to more on the DLS...disregard the questions I had for you then!
    That would eliminate the Nova for you. But the Deep Blue is easier to use, I still didn't (from your first post anyway) see what you look for musically in a delay..

Sorry if this wasn't much help to you. Take my experience with it with a grain of salt too, if you can get a good deal on it, you can certainly try it and probably sell it again without losing too much if you don't like it?

3. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

Those reviews from the link look pretty good to me.

*But take them with a grain of salt*

4. musicman_1300

musicman_1300 Member

I have one and I like it... it's has a nice tone control knob that can darkin or make some bright delays and the delay has a little reverb on it too. sounds cool. One thing to know about it though is when the tone knob is set to the far right you lose some of your repeats.

I just finished using a dd-5 and I was more comfortable with my delay and liked it better. I use it for hillsong stuff

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

That was part of what I didn't like about mine. Thanks for the reminder.
    Setting the tone I liked meant less "hearty" repeats. I also don't remember which trimpots it had, but after exhaustively trying to get the delay I wanted stock, I tried tweaking the trimpots also, which helped but still..

For some reason, I can't explain well enough, the repeats seemed always too "cold" sounding to me. I can't explain it better, but it just seemed that to me the repeats were too "clinical" sounding.

I also like the Deep Blue Delay a lot better with an already OD'ed signal than I did on the DLS.

On paper, I expected to LOVE the DLS. I very much appreciated too that they put in protection from overvoltage, and even (if I remember right, don't take this as gospel) if you accidentally reversed polarity it would work. The features and controls on paper looked perfect, but just the sound itself didn't live up to it for me. Who knows though, maybe a different amp or something would have done it for me.

6. musicman_1300

musicman_1300 Member

You are correct it take both polarities and works with 7-12 or 13 volt...

I like it so far, but its the only delay pedal I have ever used. Other than the dd-5. I have my amp breaking ups slightly so I run my delay in front and the delay has a slight break up to it.

I would like to try the deep blue delay, but I don't have a job anymore and my pockets only have 8 bucks.

Can you set the deep blue delay to have repeats like the tapecho on the red preset side? at like 200 miliseconds or so?

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

To be honest, I'm not sure what you mean about "like the tapeecho", is it just time you mean? If so, I am not really even sure about the delay times on the DBD, but just that it is a much simpler unit, is very different from the EchoTap and all.

8. Sammy

Sammy Member

Hi James,

You have really helped I listened to the DLS on the Norwegien site I found Godlyd and I agree with your summary, not that great! So looks like the Catmods for me!

Hey listened to some of your tracks very nice what guitar and amp do you use!

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Hey! I didn't mean to dampen enthusiasm for it. I'm a delay idiot (even though I have quite a few) and I didn't really like a Memory Lane when I owned one briefly, but the kid I sold it to was getting amazing sounds out of it right off bat after tweaking and experimenting. I use delays usually as fatteners for solos, and "Red House" kinda things usually.

Thanks for listening, mostly I was using an American Strat, into a V-amp2. In those days when I was doing more home recording, I couldn't play into the air as neighbors, and such, so I needed something direct in. The V-amp2 works well I think....though nothing is like playing live! Also on some tracks used a Digitech RP-7.

The last few years I have been playing in bands and not had time to record but am going to again, more originals, to have a showcase I can point to when trying to find other musicians, so they can hear what I am trying to go for and decide if it is for them too or not.

10. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

I had the DLS for a while. It's a very nice delay in many ways. True bypass, IIRC no digital processing of dry signal, tap tempo, well-built. It sounded like a good digital delay and when my friend heard it quickly he replaced his akai headrush with it.

I eventually tried it against some other delays (Nova, H&K, Fulltone), and the DLS was a bit "dry" in comparison. Again, it does a very nice digital delay, but the others were just a bit warmer and more lively. (the Nova is particularly versatile and sounds great, but I have my suspicious about its build quality...)

I doubt you'd get it and think it sounds horrible by any means. But you might eventually find one that grabs you more (or maybe not...)

How's that for unhelpful ...

11. Sammy

Sammy Member

Hi, You didn't dampen my enthusiasm for it, you just really confirmed what I thought, its sometimes you need that second opinion to justify it! My 15year son was no help as all he can see with his blinkers on, is the Roland RE-20, which he wants when he can afford it! :jo

My friend who owns some rehersal rooms and also has a small recording studio in there and whist he mostly records live for bands etc he has used the Vamp with very good effect and says it can sound just as good as miking up!
    Like yourself whilst noise restriction in my house isn't too bad, at certain times!, my songs have all been recorded on an MD8 using an old Sessionmaster Direct Recording Pre Amp and my Roland 501. Even my recording friend admits my little old home recordings sound really good, though he's talking about quality not my playing or singing!:D
    Though like you it doesn't compare to be able to play out live with just your amp and guitar and a couple of pedals, its not the same vibe when playing through a box!