DLS echo tap vs. T-Rex Replica

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dbeeman, Mar 22, 2005.

1. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I want to have an echo I can control repeat time on, sounds natural and is low noise. From reading here these seem to be the candidates.

Opinions? Anyone had both?

2. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Can't go wrong with DLS, its a solid delay, can't say anything bad about it.

3. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I had a T-Rex Replica and it wasn't my thing. I didn't like the way the original signal was colored when the effect was on. It was a good tone but it wasn't my thing.

I'm looking for a used DLS Echo Tap right now. I've heard alot of positive feedback about it. I'm happy with the tone from my current delay pedal (Guyatone TD-X Tube Echo) but I want tap tempo. I'll be sure to post my observations should I find one.

4. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

I'm with you Deaj. The TD-X is another really nice delay that bridges the flexibility of digital units with the warmth of analog if you want it. I haven't tried the T-Rex but the DLS is sure sweet and the tap tempo function is the capper - at about $100 less than the T-Rex.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i like the tap tempo on the TRex, and from what i've been told, the TRex is marginally quieter than the DLS.

also, i like the smaller footprint of the TRex.

6. iDavid

iDavid Member

I just sold my Echo-tap, but it is a great unit

I didn't need the tap tempo and it is a bit large.

I t has a really nice sound to it

7. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I had the T-Rex and currently use the DLS.

I haven't noticed any noise issues with my DLS but I do know there are input and output adjustments inside that may contribute to noise if set the wrong way.

The T-Rex was a good sounding unit and worked fine. The reasons I prefer the DLS are:

1) DLS costs $100 less
    2) DLS feels more solidly built (though I never had problems with the T-Rex)
    3) DLS lets you switch between a fixed echo and tap echo
    4) DLS has a variable tone knob, T-Rex has on/off dark switch
    5) DLS runs off most 9 volt power units, T-Rex requires a propriatery wall wart.

Like I said, both are great units, the DLS just fits my needs a little better.

8. dbeeman

Thanks, good comparsion. I am leaning toward the echo tap.

9. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

I've had both. I still use the Echo Tap. The other is long gone.

10. jdzialak

jdzialak Supporting Member

You can't use a PPII with the Replica? I use one with my Comp Nova.

Joe

11. Blueser

Blueser Member

I haven't tried the T-Rex, but I really love my Echo-Tap!

12. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

Nope, the Replica runs on 15 volts AC, so the only way you can power it is with the supplied wall wart.

13. jdzialak

jdzialak Supporting Member

Oh. Thanks for info.

Joe

14. DavesWoodstock

DavesWoodstock Member

+1 for the Guyatone TD-X Tube Echo

15. dbeeman

I bought both. Both are good for the reasons others mentioned.
    Ended up with Replica.

1) quieter
    2) echo seemed a bit more natural
    3) smaller

I did not find I needed the variable high end roll off of the echo tone control on echo tap vs "brown switch" on the Replica.

The echo tap also has a fixed vs tap echo settings, two settings you cab go back and forth between. Again, I did not find myself using that.

I do like the T-trex "triplett" switch.

It boils down to tastes/tradeoffs

16. Craise

Craise Member

Not true.... (this is from the T-Rex website) Also I own one...

http://www.t-rex-engineering.com/default.asp?show=page&id=2325

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]FAQ[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1. Does the Replica work with other power supplies, than the one it comes with?

ANSWER: Yes. It works with any powersupply giving 12 volt DC or AC, that is irrelevant, as the Replica has a converter inside. However the powersupply has to give at least 340 mA, or the Replica will distort in some cases.

[/FONT]

17. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

I just sold my Echotap having decided to stay with my Analogman modded DD5 w/ tap...

The DLS sounded good and has a lot of good features, most notably the ability to switch between 2 presets on the fly. But I didn't like the taper on the repeat volume controls, and kind of in general felt it was more difficult to dial in than my Boss. I was hoping I'd like it better because the "2 channel" aspect of the DLS is a very cool feature, but I just didn't bond.

With the AM mods on the Boss, there is a 3 way switch which allows you to take the "digital" tone out of the repeats to varying degrees, and it works really well. And with the external tap pedal it just works for me. Pedestrian solution I know, but...

18. LVC

LVC Senior Member

I went down this road --- because I wanted a delay pedal that offered short/long options.

I have been a T-Rex player for years.

I was looking to save some real estate on my 18 x 30 Custom wired Trailer Trash Board.

So I looked at DLS -- a/b with T-rex and T-Rex won hands down. In my humble opinion DLS does not even come close to T-Rex -- and honestly I think comparision does no justice to DLS Delay which is a fine pedal in its own right -- but it is no T-Rex. To me -- I found the DLS sounding somewhat metalic and cold vs the warmth and quiet nature of the T-Rex.

Also if you are looking to jump from long/short delay on DLS -- hope tune you are playing can handle the "delay' in switching from long to short. The switching is not quick -- there is a slight delay going from long to short or visa versa.

Although I am sure there are many folks out there (and rightly so) that are DLS fans -- I really think it is unfair to DLS to compare it to the T-Rex.

I ended up putting 2 T-Rex delays on my Trailer Trash board.

See Picture

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=1672518&postcount=42

LVC

19. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

I've got a Replica which I'm sucessfully running from a PP2+.

I also recently acquired a Donnerbox delay. It's digital with an analog sounding roll-off. It's not tap-tempo but instead has a slap setting and a delay setting that you can preset & switch between.

It's another approach that I find has it's merits as sometimes it's hard to tap the shorter slaps....

20. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Received mine today --- I agree with you -- it has merits -- I still have to put it through its paces -- first impression long delay setting is pretty good -- has warmth and no clock noise (delay is long enough that you can do the U-2 thing if that kind of stuff floats your boat) short delay sounded a little metalic -- need to play with settings a bit.... but I think for the money and cool looking box -- it is a keeper.

Problem with looking at new delays is your ear (at least that is my problem)-- once you get accustomed to (and embrace) a certain quality of tone (i.e. Replica) it is hard to evaluate other delays without any bias. Delays are really a breed of their own --- I tend to be somewhat monomagous with delays....on the other hand with OD boxes -- I am always looking forward to trying out the new flavour of the month.