DLS Echo tap?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by iDavid, Nov 29, 2004.

1. iDavid

iDavid Member

Do you guys like this one?

Does it fade out when turned off, or stop all at once?

2. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I love mine, not sure about thhe fade out thing though.

3. iDavid

iDavid Member

Since it has true by-pass, it doesn't fade out. I e-mailed Dave at DLS and got a responce in record time...

Seems like a nice guy.

Oh,

What do you love about th e Echo tap?

just wondering

4. dankayaker

He's a great guy. I love it for the rugged build quality, the two separate delay time's are great, and it's faily transparent. Mine adds a little treble but they can put a couple caps to change that. I just haven't been "not-gigging" long enough to ship it back.

5. iDavid

iDavid Member

Ever you ever tried in front of a Hight gain amp. NOT in the effects loop.

My boss isn't soundng so great in front of the amp :rolleyes:

Can you set the tap delay time, or do you "tap" it in each time?

6. dankayaker

Works equally well in front or in loop. Killer pedal, not even in the same class as a Boss.

7. iDavid

iDavid Member

Really? :cool:

In front of a high gain amp?

I'm glad I am sitting down or I would fall down.

The boss sounds good on the clean channel but once I switch channels to the "dirty" side it doesn't hold up well at all.

maybe it is time to send the boss back. I got it on sale for $175 and now it is $220 or something like that..... I hate sending stuff back. I've been going back and forth on this for days....

Sounds like the echo-tap could be the bomb :dude

8. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

To my ears, the Echotap IS the bomb!
    I have one on my pedalboard, and it aint goin' nowhere!
    S.
    j

9. dankayaker

Hey iDavid . . . . . . I missread your post. No delay sounds good in front of a High-Gain amp ( IMO). It's sounds killer though into a clean amp with pedals prior to it or in the FX loop.

10. Pete2

Pete2 Member

You can set the Echotap to sound very clear or you can set it to sound more analog-y and warm. I don't know what your definition of high gain is, but at Led Zeppelin levels of gain, the Echotap works well-- I use it for a Led Zeppelin II / slapback setting when we're rocking out some heavy blues.

The tap function is awesome. I keep the preset side set for a slapback, and then use the tap side for variable length delays. My only complaint about the pedal is that there is only one knob that controls the # of repeats, and it applies the same to both channels. So if I want a long delay with a lot of repeats, I can do that on the tap side, but if I want to switch over to a one-repeat slapback, I switch to the preset side but then have to reach down and turn back the repeat knob. Other than that, I think it is an awesome pedal (and I am happy to live with that trade-off.)

Pete

11. iDavid

iDavid Member

Pete2,

When playing at Zeppelin levels, your getting your gain from the amp and not a pedal?

I spoke with Dave about this a few minutes ago and he said that his customers felt the Echo-tap let your tone play through better than other pedals....

this is what I am looking for :D

12. Pete2

Pete2 Member

Yep-- amp set up on a crunchy classic rock setting, and the DLS sitting between guitar and amp, providing a slap-back.

Pete

13. Josh O

Josh O Member

I too have found that the EchoTap holds it own in front of a distorted amp. I ran mine in front of my 5150 when I had it with some pretty blistering distortion and the EchoTap still sounded decent. I'm sure in the FX loop it would've sounded clearer but it served the purpose. The Boss DD-3 and Guyatone MD3 pedals I used to own would just **** themselves when I tried them in front of that amp, definetely that typical mish mosh mess of distorting the delay signal instead of the delaying the distortion, just pure ugliness. I don't know what it is about the EchoTap but the boys at DLS definetely got it right. I now use it in front of my Matamp since it has no FX loop and I couldn't be happier.

14. Yup

Yup Supporting Member

Pete,

...or anyone else, have you found any other delay that has separate repeat knobs? I've the same complaint about the echotap.

Thanks,
    Mike

15. iualum

iualum Member

...the Echo Tap is fantastic. I use it with my DD-20 & everything I could possibly dream of is covered. I also keep my MD-3 around for when I want a bare minimum travel board for friendly jams...

...but if I could have only 1, it'd be the DLS box, oh yeah :RoCkIn ...

16. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I'm amazed after all this time that folks still dig the DLS Echotap. There have a been a whole slew of newer pedals on the market, stuff like the Tone Czar Echo Czar, Diamond Memory Lane, etc. and it's cool to still see folks digging the Echotap.

I've had mine for quite a while, sold a Hughes & Kettner Replex for it and never looked back. I like crystal clear, loud delays and the Echotap in the FX Loop of my amp delivers. What's cool is it can do really good tape emulation or the perfect digital delay all with a twist of a knob. While the two different delay settings aren't fully independent, I can get some very different tones out of it with just tapping a button with my foot.

I never thought I'd need tap tempo on anything, but it's extremely useful on the DLS. They definitely did a great job on the Echotap and I'm not sure if anything else out there would be able to do a lot better than what the Echotap offers.