DLS.... is it THE Marshall in a box?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jonlarsen002, Dec 17, 2009.

1. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

From what I'm hearing in youtube clips, this thing sounds about as versatile as you could ever want. High and low gain, I'm hearing great usable sounds.

2. woland

woland Member

YMMV - I did not like it all that much - luckily Catalinbread folks give
    you 48hrs to make up your mind. I could not recreate the tone from
    Youtube - which I admit is impressive.

3. Clumsy Fingers

Clumsy Fingers Member

I've had mine (version 1) for several months, and though the hype has been strong around these parts, it's well justified.

I've never owned a Marshall, so I don't fret about how true it is to a plexi/JCM 800, I just plug in, and enjoy the groovy things it does to my guitar tone. It's the best pedal purchase I've made in years.

4. TMcB

TMcB Member

It's THE marshall in a box for me. I adore the thing; in the pedal maelstrom that is my pedalboard, it's stayed firmly put

5. jhfire

jhfire Supporting Member

It really is that good. I have a version 1 that's a keeper.

6. TMcB

TMcB Member

It seems to be that the v1s are the keepers...

7. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Tried one out, an orange v1. Liked it, but it was unable to dethrone my Fetto 11.1 as THE Marshall in a box. That pedal is really tough to beat though. Not really a fair contest.

8. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Nope, not even close. I rank several pedals above it - the Pinnacle, the Plextortion, the Brownie, the V3 Crunchbox, the Plexitude, the Gov'nor, KOB, etc.

It's just not clear enough and fat enough for me. Lots of folks love it and that's cool but it didn't work for me.

9. jdel77

jdel77 Where's my burrito? Silver Supporting Member

The thing about the DLS is that it's great to use to get a Marshall sound no matter what amp you have to play through. Through a British sounding amp it's just more of a good thing. V1 (or V2 with the slider switch set to the V1 setting) seems to be best for stacking, probably cos it takes on whatever boost you wanna drive it with. Can't beat a good Rangemaster or even a clean boost for saturating it.
    The ultimate combo for this pedal for me is a booster into a fuzz style pedal, into the DLS, then into something with an extremely flexible eq setting such as the Timmy.
    IF you just want gain-ville then go with something else that delivers gobs of gain like the pedals listed above. I use a modded BYOC Shredder for massive gain sounds. For a pedal that is designed to pump out juicy JFET Marshally grind, and also designed to work well with your other boosters, fuzzes or drives, I can't see it getting beat anytime soon. 18v will give you more clean volume and slam your preamp and speakers harder, 9v, will give you more controllable overdrive. That's my take anyway.

10. floydfanatic

floydfanatic Member

11. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

Has anyone compared it to a Fulltone OCD v4?

12. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

It's definitely better. I'm not really sure the OCD aims to be a Marshall in a box. If it does, it really misses the mark.

13. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

Thanks. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the OCD is a Marshall in a box .... just wondering about how they might compare. Hope I'm not hijacking ....

14. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Member

I've got one coming tomorrow, we'll see!

15. woland

woland Member

I had DLS for couple of days and compared high gain sound to MI Crunch Box. I thought that Crunch Box was more musical - dunno which one is closer to Marshall - never had that amp. DLS is more versatile - CB is one trick pony but it was more inspiring. Then I took DLS to a friend who plays thru OCD and we spent couple hours A-B'ing the two - several guitars and couple good amps. We both liked OCD better. Nevermind if it was more or less Marshall'y - it sounded better. But as I said - YMMV - I presume that it is really important what you feed into DLS - we mostly used it as first effect in the chain.

16. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

On a mid generation Marshall cranked up there your single notes should seem relatively clean. However when you hit a chord it gives you that satisfying crunch. They are beasts of amps but they aren't fire breathing metal machines that turns any signal into a squarewave output.

Thing I notice about 95% of the other so called Marshall in a box pedals I've played and hear clips of... They all sound distorted on single note runs. That is not a characteristic of a mid generation Marshall that I've experienced. Which is clean and HUGE on single note runs, chrunchy when you hit a D chord.

The DLS is voiced for stacking and in a mix context. Which is important because a lot of bedroom-satisfying pedals get lost in a mix due to being scooped and too bass heavy with bizarre artifacts intermodulating down there. They may be fine by themselves... The DLS is the right balance for the purpose of stacking and fitting into the guitar pocket of a mix and a context of a band.

As far as V1 being keepers over V2? Doesn't mean anything since all we added on V2 was a slider switch to switch between a V1 bright cap and a V2 bright cap. I am afraid this is observation is arbitrary, a bit like the sharp shooter fallacy. All it really means is we've shipped over 1000 V2's this year and fewer V1's. There are more and more V2's out there each month sales rise... I suspect this makes it easier to find V2's 2nd hand.

:aok

17. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

Got it a few weeks ago in Asplinthe Green (Cool color). Love it!! for chords and push it with the Direct Drive LG for Soloing. I have tried many so-called Marshalls in a Box, this is by far the best and most usable of the bunch. Very reasonably priced as well. One question for you Mr. Catalinbread. I have the V2 version, opened it up and can't find the slider for V1. Is it in there?

Rawk On!!:JAM

18. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

Look at the top of the circuit board there is a space between the PCB and the enclosure wall. Something should be labeled "ON" up there. :)

19. woland

woland Member

I think that video on their website shows switch sitting in the middle of the board but in my pedal it was on the upper part of it and on the edge of the board. BTW - DLS had some areas that sounded good for my needs (after all you have 8 different modes to choose from: Rock/Rawk, 9V/18V, Warm/Bright internal switch). But overall it was just not my cup of tea. Regardless - they are great company to deal with - I wish every pedal maker there was so customer satisfaction oriented.

20. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

The disparity between bedroom tone and full-volume band tone is crazy. A lot of great pedals get pooped on by bedroom guitarists.