DLS rotosim, can it be a strong effect?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kurt1981, Feb 10, 2012.

1. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Heard a lot about the rotosim and am about to pull the trigger, can it be dialed in to not be so subtle? I had an H&K rotosphere and a rotomachine and sold both miss the rotosphere, but I'm hoping the rotosim can get close to that tone, any verdicts?
    Thanks

2. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

I'm curious as well

3. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

It's a decent pedal, but in all honesty, didn't live up to what I'd hoped. The line6 even sounds more organic. The DLS has this weird 20 or 30 MS delay in the wet sound that just makes it sound weird. I ended up with the RT-20 and haven't looked back.
    Kurt

4. schwa

schwa Member

I just picked up a RotoSim off the emporium and like it so far. I am running it in stereo in a W/D/W setup.

There are a bunch of pots inside the pedal, and two of them adjust output. There's another which changes the balance between throb and horn. I found these to be pretty helpful in getting the pedal to sit in the mix of things in a way that I liked.

I think there are compromises with most of the Leslie pedals and the RotoSim has them as well. For all of the songs that I play (just a few)that call for a Leslie, it's a good solution - definitely better than using a vibe or other non-Leslie pedal.

5. technicoloraudio

technicoloraudio Supporting Member

I previously owned the RotoSim that Schwa has now, and I think that it sounds a little more leslie like than the Lex, which is another great rotary emulator. I say this because I have played through leslie's and while the effect of spinning sound is quite magnificent, the quality of sound is not near that of a digital recreation.
    The RotoSim does reproduce the leslie sound, and apparently even better once it's properly tweaked inside. IMHO though, a lot of folks consider specific songs from specific albums or live shows from certain artists when they think "that leslie sound" and don't consider the fact that most of us don't sound like that in real life.
    If the RotoSim had a "brake" it would be hands-down the most realistic interpretation of leslie sound for yer guitar.
    but before one compares the sound of a leslie pedal to a leslie, know the leslie, and all of the things that make it really cool and the things that make most of them sound so-so.
    if you are playing in mono, the whole thing is useless. to attain maximum awesomeness, one must atleast embrace stereo, Schwa is really doing it right with his W/D/W set up.
    cheers-o.

6. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

I've had mine for quite awhile now and though I can't comment on other leslie sims the DLS works great for me. We do very few covers so whether it nails Badge or Coldshot or whatever is of little importance to me. It just sounds really good.