1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

DLS RotoSim™ tweaking

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by muddy, Jun 23, 2005.

1. muddy

muddy Member

i am thoroughly blown away at the moment... everyone getting one of these, you HAVE to understand something, 1st & foremost; YOU NEED TO POP HER OPEN & TWEAK!!! they don't come out of the box tuned. YOU have to do it. in all fairness to dave, he's setting these up VERY conservatively, & they don't shine the way they can. so, 1st up, you need to turn up the mix trimmer on the left, & all the way up. this will allow you to back off on the rotor levels on top of the unit to, say, 12-1:00. from there, you can add and subtract what you need for your particular setup. it gives you a LOT more play. 2nd, turn that bass rotor lag down, baby, as LOW as she'll go, cap'n, until she can't take it no more! lastly, if you're gonna use output a (i do, so far), you'll wanna turn the effect response trimmer fully ccw. if you use output b, then cw. output b is throbbier, particularly in the bottom end, so it can use the the brightness gained when you add more swirl, whereas the a output does well with the added throb you get by turning it ccw.

i think you'll find the overdrive to be extremely useful. it adds warmth to the top end without muddying up the mids or bottom. it is very transparent, & rightly so. if you wanna use an overdrive for a more driven, higher gain sound, use an overdrive. in fact, the roto's od blends REALLY well with other od's & distortions. and it does NOT change the tone/eq of your sound, like the option5 does. i should have some clips up at dls' site by next week, & you guys are gonna be quite impressed at how good i can get this thing to sound. since i last had the proto, dave has done some further tweaking, & the payoff is HUGE!!! but i know this box better than those who are hearing it for the 1st time. if i can tweak this thing into a heavenly warble, SO CAN YOU! i'm tellin' ya, when you hear me play badge or doin' that scrapyard thing with the roto' & a barber ddss, you are gonna FREAK! it is SPOT ON!!! :cool:

ml

2. DigDug

DigDug Guest

...Thanx alot Muddy, thats what I wanted to Hear!...I gotta get one now!!!...Thanx!...

3. Jim Martin

Jim Martin Member

Thanks, Muddy. Mine is on its way!

4. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

Hey howd you put the little tm on the title ?;)

5. muddy

muddy Member

i've got a mac. when you hold down the option key, you get ™'s, £'s, ¢'s, ?§¶•ªº–!=œ<sum>´®†¥¨ˆø<pi>“‘«åß?ƒ©???¬…æ??ç??˜µ<=>=÷

ml

6. tuna

tuna Member

Thanks Muddy for the input. I will have to try this as I am a little disapointed with the sound so far. More chorusey than rotary, so I hope this will help. Thanks again.

Tuna

7. Don Rusk

ah ok, learned sumpthin thanks!

8. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

DAMN! I thought I'd saved some money.
    Now muddy tells me it rocks! ;)

9. JimiB

JimiB Member

this is expensive but very good news.:dude

10. LilSteve

LilSteve Member

still need clips to validate...

11. Don Rusk

Hey muddy,
    if you make some clips, it might be useful to do before and after the mix and response knobs are adjusted.....

I know Dave is going to start shipping the next batch with the blend up higher or even maxed , then if people want less or thinner they can do that.......

12. TTrahan

TTrahan Member

Don,

Go here.

Has the key commands to type all of those cool symbols :)

13. JimiB

JimiB Member

14. gururyan

gururyan Member

...been waiting for clips forever...will anybody post some?

15. muddy

muddy Member

got a bit buried, did we? :D anyhoo, clips are uploading to dave, even as we speak! a shitload of 'em, too... some with my dual drive (scotty, where's the u-no-watt demo?!! ;) ), some with my ddss, & some with a janglebox & jac. if i get a chance, i'll upload cities of the deserted heart up on me website. notmuch longer my brethren. :cool:

ml

16. Jim Martin

Jim Martin Member

I don't have any way to record clips but I have to give this pedal my heary endorsement. It came yesterday and it sounds amazing. I think the slow speed will push my chorus (Analogman Clone Chorus - a great one) off the board. And the fast speed is so much fun to play with...

FWIW I set the trimpots according to muddy's post and it does give the pedal a more intense sound (that you can dial back if you want). I've yet to try it with two amps.

17. muddy

muddy Member

awright, here are just a few. the rest will be up at dls' site, along with these (or some of). btw, i wound up setting the fx response back towards the middle. also, i've been using an exp pedal, which changes the sound quite a bit. makes you play it with a bit more feel, too, plus you can brake it to a full stop. TRY IT!!! here:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U.m3u?ID=2589220&q=Hi

http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U.m3u?ID=2589331&q=Hi

http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U.m3u?ID=2589248&q=Hi

http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U.m3u?ID=2589316&q=Hi

http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U.m3u?ID=2589299&q=Hi

my site

ml

18. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

muddy...man, those clips sound sweet. I thought I was over my gas for modulation pedals, but I may need to pick one of these up. thanks for posting the clips.

19. muddy

muddy Member

i'm uploading the rest for you guyz. :cool:

ml

20. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

Just saw Michael Landau with Robben Ford tonight at the Baked Potato in L.A. and Landau was using one of these. I gatta have one. Is there a "best place" to buy one online?