DLS vs Crunchbox vs etc.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by myaudiodna, Dec 21, 2009.

1. myaudiodna

myaudiodna Member

I am looking for a dirt box to run on my board to go in front of a completely clean amp (Fender ProSonic), but the kicker is I need something that is going to be REALLY versatile as I play a wide variety of guitars, amps and genres. Styles include metal, rock, blues, jazz (w/ mild overdrive), pop, funk, etc. and for guitars I pretty much use the "big 4" so to speak, LP, strat, tele & 335 along with assorted other guitars (PRS, a couple jazz guitars). So what I'm saying is I need something that is very very versatile, but it also needs to fit in the space the a DLS or a Crunchbox size pedal would, as I am putting it on a PT-Mini. Any recommendations? I've heard a lot about the crunch box as well as the DLS, the OCD and a couple others, but would like some recommendations. Are these pedals all that they're cracked up to be or is there something better out there? Thanks!

2. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

good luck. Maybe an OCD? You want something that does hi and low gain really well. But at the same time, sometimes you'll want a smoother, compressed sound than the OCD can give you. I'd try to find room for 2 pedals if it were me. Maybe a tubescreamer with more gain on tap... or maybe the V.S. Jekyll and Hyde?

3. myaudiodna

myaudiodna Member

Thanks for the response! I know I'm kinda looking for a "mythical" dirt box. I can live with something that doesn't do low gain real well, I have a good overdrive that I can fit on my board. I'd say something that does like pop rock mid gain to high gain metal really well. Sorry, should've been more specific, thanks again!

4. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

The DLS isn't going to come close to the gain you need for metal or even most classic rock for that matter. It reminds me more of a JTM45 or Plexi vs the JCM series. Just not enough saturation and compression there for those kinds of music.

The Crunchbox is a one trick pony and that's high gain Marshall. I don't think either pedal is right for you. Honestly, you'll need 2 pedals to cover all that ground.

I use a Wampler Pinnacle II and it's an excellent med-high gain pedal that will cover a ton of ground. From early Zeppelin to Slash to EVH. Gained down it'll rock some blues as well.

For Jazz and funk stuff though...you aren't finding a pedal that will do that and the above together IMO. I could be wrong though.

5. myaudiodna

myaudiodna Member

Thanks I'm checking out some demos of the pinnacle II now. Like I said, for the lower gain stuff I have an OD that I can fit on my board that will cover that ground just fine, so I'm not so much worried about the funk/jazz/blues area, more the classic/pop rock through hard rock/metal areas.

6. woland

woland Member

Borrow DLS and CrunchBox and A-B. I was 100% sure DLS was IT based on clips I heard online but in the end I liked OCD or CrunchBox better (even w/ much smaller range of tones on CrunchBox).

7. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

The OCD is the most versatile of the three you've listed but to access that versatility in a live setting you will need to change the settings on the fly. Usually that doesn't work out too well. I agree that you should consider two pedals. Start with a used OCD.

8. myaudiodna

myaudiodna Member

I definitely agree that if I could I'd just add another pedal to my board, but as it stands I only have room for one additional pedal. I just put an overdrive on my board that covers mild breakup sounds up through some lower-mid gain classic rock stuff. What do you guys think of the rothwell switchblade? or maybe the lovepedal purple plexi? Don't know much about either of these companies or pedals, but have heard good things about both.

9. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

10. FXMonkey

FXMonkey Member

DLS would be more versatile than the crunch box...

11. myaudiodna

myaudiodna Member

I looked at the fetto nord and like it, but I can't really find a proper demo of it, is there a good demo of it that shows gain ranges, etc?

Anybody have any experience with the rockbox boiling point od? I know it's labeled as an od, but the hype says it can get all the way into the metal realm. Being myself a skeptic of any product that is overly hyped, it would be great to hear an opinion from someone with actual experience with it.

12. Bluesrocker99

Bluesrocker99 Member

I have the Crunch Box and the Switchblade. Neither are particularly versatile, but for me, the Rothwell has a better clean up, a more balanced EQ and sounds good with HBs and SCs. The Crunchbox has more gain, but more than I'll ever need.
    Used to have a Purple Plexi, nice sounding pedal, but the gain control had no real range, from 0 to 9 nothing really changed, then everything happened in the last 10% One sound only (to be fair, it was only ever intended to give one sound, which it does pretty well!)

13. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Crunchbox is fantastic for Marshall JCM800 & 900 tones. That's all it does so it's not versatile. A Fulltone OCD is much more versatile with a small footprint.
    Give it a try. Could be your ticket :D

14. theGhost

theGhost Member

I just bought a BYOC Shredder b/c it's supposed to be very similar to the crunch box but a lot more versatile. You could look into that.

15. myaudiodna

myaudiodna Member

Well the OCD seems to be the most suggested, so I'm for sure checking that out, but the BYOC Shredder sounds like a fun project as well as a god sounding pedal from the demos I've heard. any other recommendations?

16. 82strat

82strat Member

MI Audio Tube Zone might fit the bill. I can get a real nice light OD, great blues tone and straight up Boogie-esch metal all from the same box. I think there are a couple on the emporium right now.

17. woland

woland Member

There are two issues with Tube Zone - their quality control is not always
    super consistent - you may end up with one that is quite a bit darker.
    The other thing - all knobs on it interact with each other so it is a dream
    pedal for a compulsive tweaker. Or a nightmare if you hate tweaking.
    But I agree - very flexible beast and capable of some metal. Worth
    checking out.

18. aaronl

aaronl Supporting Member

I had a Crunchbox and I have a DLS, I felt like the Crunchbox kind of sat on top of the amp the DLS feels more like part of the amp.

I also use a Catalinbread SCOD that is a righteous little box as well.

19. Chonny

Chonny Senior Member

The DLS sounds really damn good.

20. aaronl

aaronl Supporting Member

I love mine.
    There are some great youtube clips of the DLS stacking etc.
    I agree with another poster (or several others) that you may want to pick up two pedals its hard to make one do everything. I have been nothing but impressed with the two Catalinbread pedals I have, they are responsive and they clean up well.