DM-2 or DM-3?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by krisharmony, Aug 6, 2008.

1. krisharmony

krisharmony Supporting Member

I was going to get a Carbon Copy but I figured while I'm at it I may as well just pay a little more and get one of the old Bosses. So which do yall prefer? I just want something to add some thickness to my Tele-JTM sound. I play blues and similar stuff. Should I get the DM-3 or just go ahead and find a DM-2? They're all about the same price on ebay.

2. CentralScrutini

CentralScrutini Member

Carbon copy has twice the delay time and modulation, I wouldn't exactly compare it to the DM delays. IF 300 ms is enough time for you and you just want a simple analog delay you'll be happy with either one. Or buy both and sell the one you like better.

3. juan chaos

juan chaos Member

i've owned both and still own a dm-2. the dm-2 doesn't have a dry out but the tone is darker and lacks the dm-3's noise filtering, which makes it darker and murkier.

4. soul1

soul1 Member

iIenjoy my dm-3 quite a lot. Not as dark as the dm-2 but still very nice and warm.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  5. krisharmony

I'm not expecting the Bosses to compare with the CC, I just want a great sounding analog delay, that being the only comparison. And I unfortunately don't have the cash to buy both.

6. CentralScrutini

CentralScrutini Member

I would much rather have a CC than a DM-2/3 if I had to pick one or the other.

7. krisharmony

That's fine but that's not what I'm asking.

The Carbon Copy's are going to be available for quite a while I have a feeling so I can buy one of those at anytime.

I just need more comparisons between the two. Such reviews have been harder to find than I figured they would.

8. CentralScrutini

CentralScrutini Member

Well if you want them for the vintage factor, that makes sens. They are plentiful though, and Behringer even makes a clone of the DM-3. The DM-2 is darker, which is awesome for some people and annoying for others. Its really something you'd have to hear yourself to really know, clips of the two might help give you an idea at least. For just subtle use like you described I'd probably go for the DM-2 myself. Perfect for adding a nice subtle umph to your sound.

9. krisharmony

Yeah that sounds like about what I'm going for. I just want to make sure the DM-2 isn't too dark to use practically.

10. that_brianm_guy

that_brianm_guy Gold Supporting Member

that's tough to say. when played by itself, the DM2 sounds perfect, but in the mix during a gig, sometimes it's too dark. Not always, mind you - just depends on the room, the volume, etc

11. erksin

erksin Member

The Analogman AR20DL is voiced just like a DM-2 - awesome pedal with a great buffer.

12. krisharmony

Yeah that's kind of what I expected.

What's the deal with people messing with the factory settings and screwing up the pedals? Is this as big a plague as it seems on the harmony-central reviews? And did they do it to both the 2 and 3?

13. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

The DM-2 is an absolutely favorite around here

as mentioned above - by yourself , it seems perfect. In a dense track - or onstage - the delays can tend to disappear a bit but still contribute to an incredible ambient delay sound.

You wouldn't want it for your "timed" delays but it's the ONLY delay that I can leave on and the repeats dont conflict w/ the song's tempo ( they sorta just fall back into the music )

I couldnt live with out mine !!

well.. I could LIVE - but I wouldn't smile as much :D

14. woof*

woof* Member

Guys,
    its not that dark at all. ive owned many DM2's over the years and used them in live workin bands with lots of different setups. no mush or mix problems at all, no matter what other gear used . i owned a DM3 and its a fine pedal but i think its a little brighter than the DM2..not so much as the DM2's being dark. hands down for me.. its easy to just go with the DM2

15. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I've owned both the pedals and still have the DM-2 for 2 reasons:

1. It has a pretty unique warm delay. There are a lot of other analog delays out there, good ones, but this is to my ears the signature analog delay sound. The DM-3 is livelier, more modern and there are new pedals that do what it does even better. Someone once described the DM-3 to me as a country twanger's or rockabilly pedal - great for lively slap-back repeats.
    2. The DM-2 is more valuable as a collector's piece
    As far as the internal trimmers go, yes they are a serious issue. The only way they can properly be set up is with a scope by someone who knows what he's doing. You can easily spend $100 bucks trying to get a screwed up DM-2 or 3 back to spec.

16. jnco

jnco Member

the dm-2 is magical, i've tried loads of analog delays and while it has almost zero features, nothing compares sonically.

and i doubt you'd be using it for this, but the dm-2's oscillation is unbeatable.

17. George Adelson

George Adelson Member

I use my DM-2 constantly. I have an Analog Man Delay, Aqua Puss and AD-900 as well, and while they are all nice, they're just not the same. The way the pedal sits in a band mix or a dense track (as Danocaster said) is unbeatable. I also agree that I definitely would not use it for a "timed" delay (I use a Timefactor for those). I've tried to replace it may times and mine looks like ****, but I'll never get rid of it. In fact, I should try to score a couple more.

18. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

To answer the original question, the DM2 is the more classic sound and a great one in most cases. It can be a bit noisier than some of the newer delays but I don't really know many who'd prefer the DM3 over a good DM2 (that said, you'll probably want to play it before you buy if you can).

As to the "best" delay, I've got to disagree with GA here. The Aquapuss is quieter (no hiss!), more transparent without being harsh or trebly and just better in all the good ways than any DM2 or AD9 I've ever played. If you can find one for sale, they're also more collectable. HIGHLY recommended!

19. 4styx

4styx Member

The DM-3 seems to have a reverb sound that can't be dialled out.I found that it somewhat masked the delay effect.Not usable for me.

20. never-enough

never-enough Member

dm2 = magic
    cant really explain it, its just great. i would never call it too dark or muddy to use.

i'm sure the aquapuss is stellar, i just wish i had bought about a hundred of them 10 years ago so that i could keep one, sell the rest and retire comfortably.