DM-25 vs 1484?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wheyface, Jan 20, 2015.

1. wheyface

wheyface Member

Hey all!

So I've been interested in a DM-25 for a while and I'm wondering if I can get any opinions on it. I've owned a Silvertone 1464, and played out of quite a few 1484s, and I'm wondering how similar the sound is. They both own the same aesthetics, both seem like a total pain the butt to work on, but one of them runs on 6L6s and the other runs on EL84s. Just wondering if anybody can chime in on the differences between these two (other than the DM-25 being WAY cuter).

P.S. I used to go under a different name on here but couldn't remember any of my information so I'm switching all of my accounts to Wheyface!

2. LPVM

LPVM Member

I don't have any personal experience with either but a quick trip to youtube will reveal that they are very different sounding amps. I'm a big fan of Danelectro made amps from the 60's. I've got a Dm10 and two Silverstone 1482's and they are all great sounding amps.

Thanks for getting me gassing for both of those. :D

3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

The DM 25 is more of a novelty amp and it is very cool looking but the 1484 is way more useful in my opinion, FWIW.

4. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

The DM25 doesn't sound anything like the 1484. It's bright in a Vox-y sort of way, with a crispy overdrive and chiming cleans. I find it much more interesting than the average Danelectro, which is pretty bland to my ears.

5. rockometeramp

rockometeramp Member

Ditto to above post. I have both, 2 totally different amps. You really have to turn up the DM25 to get any dirty, the 1484 does it at 3. The MOJO version of the 1484 has a lot more usable clean range due to audio pots, but sounds the same cranked. I have a brand new finished one for sale if you're interested. Pm me if you are.

Rocco