DM-2W Users - Noise in Custom Mode?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RevelBandGuitar, May 20, 2015.

1. RevelBandGuitar

RevelBandGuitar Member

I picked up a DM-2W today more out of curiosity than anything. So far, I really like it. The repeats are beautiful, and melt away nicely. I was wondering if anyone else gets A LOT of background/clock noise in custom mode? This mode is noisier than my DMM. There's so much noise that I'm almost wondering if I got a bad one. Let me know what you think!

2. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

can you post a clip of the noise?

3. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I don't get any noise from mine. I have it stacked with a DMM tt1100 and it's definitely quieter than the DMM.

4. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't have any noise issues with mine.

5. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I don't get any noise with mine.

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Mine was quiet but in custom mode there was a, I don't know what to call it, ghost note falling between the plucked note and each repeat. Faint but there. Once I knew it was there, I couldn't NOT hear it. Too bad. Was a really nice delay (for analog) otherwise.

7. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

I hear a little of what I would call clock noise on both the normal and custom modes of my DM-2W, but definitely much less noticeable in the custom mode.

8. Swanson

Swanson Member

Mines almost dead quiet.

9. RevelBandGuitar

RevelBandGuitar Member

Thanks so much for chiming in everyone. I decided to go to Guitar Center and do a little comparison with a couple other DM-2W's they had in stock. The one I got was quite noisy compared to the other two, luckily GC allowed me to do an exchange. I'm really loving this pedal, and on the one I have now there's almost no noise. In fact, it's one of the quieter analog delays I've played.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  10. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Late to the party here, but I just got a DM-2 today. After noticing a noise issue, did a search on this very topic. On mine, in custom mode, the repeats have a very unnatural, almost bit crusher like grit to them, its really annoying and disappointing. Is that the kind of noise you were getting? This one is going back.

Excellent avatar pic btw!

11. davidmullis

davidmullis Member

Mine is very quiet, no noise to speak of, however the repeats are greatly affected by some of my buffered pedals, particularly my Archer pedal. Anyone else have this problem?

12. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I haven't noticed any noise with mine, but I'll throw a buffered pedal in front and see if that makes any difference tonight.

Even if it does effect the tone, I can't imagine it would be to bit crusher levels, something may be wrong with the pedal.

13. Slideman

Slideman Member

No noise with mine

14. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

15. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mine is in the effects loop of my Boogie, very quiet and awesome delay pedal for cheap!!

16. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Returned it today. As soon as I told them why the guy asked, "It's more noticeable on the custom setting with longer delay settings right?" He said they'd heard a few gripes about that. The one I bought yesterday was their last one, so no others to compare it too. Definitely had a weird, bit crusher, almost digital artifact static/grit noise on the trails. The store deemed it "defective" on my return receipt. I love the analog delays and the original DM-2, but I think I'm going to hold out for a DD-500 at this point.