DM VVBlues/Area'58/VHPAF controls

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Rick1114, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Rick1114

Rick1114 Supporting Member

I just installed a VV Blues in the neck last night because I wanted a more SRV type sound. The Area 58 I had there sounds very good but missing a little fatness for what I like in a neck pickup. I kept the Area 58 in the middle & I find it to be an excellent middle pup IMO.

Right away, I thought the VV Blues sounded dead on the top end, although the low end it delivers is exactly what I was looking for. I just can't deal with there being no chime at all. I read the instructions and I see the Dimarzio recommends 500K with Virtual Vintage pups and 250K with the Areas. I have all 250k controls....

Would a 500k volume pot help out in this situation or am I beating a dead horse? Also is there a way to keep the middle pup at 250K and have the Neck/bridge (VHPAF) at 500K?

2. Rick1114

Anyone know if this is possible with or without a super 5 way switch? I have a feeling it's not....

Values from Volume Pot:
    Neck=500k (VV Blues)
    Middle=250k (Area 58)
    Bridge=500k (VHPAF)

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

sure it is. put in the 500k pot, and add a 500k resistor across the middle pickup (between its hot and ground). that way, the neck and the bridge will "see" a 500k load, while the middle 3 switch settings will "see" 250k.

i think you will still not be happy with the v. blues in the neck, though. it's a holdover from the first generation virtual vintage line, and didn't quite "get" as much of the real single coil feel as later refinements.

try either an area 61, which will have the chime of the area 58 but with a bit more bottom and likes 250k pots just fine, or my favorite for strats with bridge buckers, the heavy blues II. the H.B.II is a loud rock strat pickup that still has a lot of "cut" and a tight low end, so it's great for bluesy or even high gain leads and will balance with a bridge humbucker. it also doesn't have quite the "chime" or "air" of the 58 or the 61, but it's got plenty of attack, and since it's alnico II, it won't pull on the strings too hard so you can cheat it a bit closer. i like to describe it as less "SRV" (area 61) and more "ritchie blackmore." it's ok with 250k pots as a bridge pickup, but i like it with 500k's as a neck pickup.

if you just got the v. blues, you've got like 21 days to mail it back to dimarzio in exchange for something else.

4. Rick1114

Walterw,

Thanks for your insight! I may try the 500K pot eventually just for kicks.
    When you say between the "hot & ground", I know the wires but where do you physically attach the resisitor, directly to the wires at some point??

BTW - I actually lowered the VV Blues (originally I had it too close and it sounded muddy) and I started to become pleasantly suprised. More variety of tones than two Area 58's in the Neck/Middle. You are exactly right about the VVBlues not being "quite" up there with the Area technology, but it's very close. The Heavy Blues II is probably the answer but the output is a bit higher and suprisingly the VHPAF will sound anemic if I go with higher output pups. The VHPAF sounds GREAT though in a strat and I think will benefit the most if I go to a 500k volume pot. I wish the VVBlues had gotten the "Area" treament because I'm liking lower output pups....

Thanks,

Rick

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

just put one end of the resistor anywhere that the hot lead from the pickup connects to, like the switch or even where it connects to its tone pot (if it has its own tone pot), and the other end of the resistor to the back of a pot.

that would pretty much be an area 61!