1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

DMC Micro/ Alexander freezing

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KurtisAZ, Nov 30, 2018.

1. KurtisAZ

KurtisAZ Supporting Member

Just bought a Gen3 Disaster Area Micro and am using it to control presets on my Alexander Quadrant. Midi controlled was bought new Alexander was bought new. Connecting with a standard mono patch through the multi Jack and if I scroll too fast from one preset to another the controller freezes and has to be powered down and restarted. Any advice? Bought it so I can quickly change presets so let me know what I need to do. Thanks!

2. DisasterArea

DisasterArea Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals

Could be a lot of things - first thing I would try is using a mono / TS cable to connect the two devices. The setting for JACK = MIDI uses the ring for MIDI input and the Quadrant uses the ring for MIDI output. If you use a TRS cable you'll be setting up an endless MIDI loop and that's not a great thing. The mono cable grounds out the ring on both ends and should fix it.

jaymeister likes this.
  3. KurtisAZ

I have been using a mono cable, anything else it could be?

4. DisasterArea

Try running the DMC without the Quadrant connected. If the DMC doesn't freeze up, then hook up the cable without the Quadrant. If it doesn't freeze then hook up the Quadrant. Troubleshooting is just trying one small thing at a time to see if it makes a difference.

5. KurtisAZ

Will try this and message you to update. Seriously thank you for the tips and support! Cheers.

DisasterArea likes this.
  6. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

@KurtisAZ, circling back around to see if you figured this out. Just bought a quadrant and am thinking about a DMC micro to go along with it. Any reservations?

KurtisAZ and DisasterArea like this.
  7. KurtisAZ

First of all, congratulations on the quadrant, great and powerful delay. To answer your question: very effective set up when working properly. Lots of awesome tones in the quadrant that can be flipped through super fast on the micro. Note that on the digi setting you can make it sound like an actually really cool chorus and the lofi like a reaaaaly cool vibrato (in my opinion). Anyways mine was defective and I sent it back and they fixed it, but rather than setting it back up (which proved rather difficult for my pea brain) I sold both when I saw the Volante promos. Have since gotten rid of the Volante but that’s another story.

8. KurtisAZ

I repeat: set up was not easy for me.

9. eternally found

Hot dang! I’m glad to know they ended not up taking good care of ya! I’ve heard and seen nothing but the best about the disaster folks. I’m willing to take the risk on set up! It sounds like exactly what I need.

@DisasterArea, are you able to bank up/down with the micro and name presets? And does this unlock the full 16? And last question, does spillover between presets exist/is it possible? That’s the one thing I’m missing. I’m enjoying my Quadrant like crazy so far!

10. DisasterArea

Bank up and down, yes. Name, no. Spillover no, but if the new preset has the same algorithm type as the old one then the sound will carry over. I'm afraid that's a limitation of the DSP we use, the delay memory is reset when the algorithm is changed and we can't do anything about it.

eternally found likes this.
  11. eternally found

Hey, if that’s the limitation then so be it! It sounds so dang good.

12. eternally found

Other last question (promise), can you limit the amount of presets with the midi controller? Say I just need a set of 6 for a set but want to limit myself so I don’t scroll up past 6. Will it come back around and land on 1?

13. DisasterArea

Sure, you can do that with preset mode on the micro. Just set up the max presets to 5, and it'll scroll 0-1-2-3-4-5-0...

eternally found likes this.
  14. eternally found

KILLLLLLLLLLER