DMM clone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abrasive1, May 14, 2015.

1. Abrasive1

Abrasive1 Silver Supporting Member

Does anyone know of a company making a big box Deluxe Memory Man clone? Currently? In the past?

2. theroan

theroan Member

Mad bean sells one

3. Abrasive1

Any idea how it compares to the real deal?

4. Funky54

Funky54 Member

5. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

Probably not currently unless they have a stash of MN3005 chips. Not sure about accurate past clones.

6. earwax

earwax Member

Strymon Brigadier
    Diamond MlJR/counterpoint

7. Abrasive1

Gotcha...any idea where to look for the right chips? Can they be changed out?

8. Abrasive1

How many do you need to build an accurate clone?

9. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

the Line 6 Echo Park analog mode gets pretty darn close

10. Abrasive1

I went to Mad Beans website and found the Dirt Baby...I think I may have come across the Dirtbag a while back...I think the Dirtbag was a closer example using MN3005/MN3008 BBds..I'll have to contact them and see if it's still available

11. matthewkkennedy

matthewkkennedy Member

Such an underrated pedal! I love my echo park. I have a real big box DMM, and I she that Echo Park is great for half the price and half the size.

12. Abrasive1

I think I've heard good things about that pedal. I'm really considering building one myself, as I'd like to replicate it as close as possible. I used to work at an amplifier company in the early 90's (which shall remain nameless), my main job was moding chassis and populating PCBs. While I feel comfortable with a soldering gun in hand, I have little if any knowledge of what makes caps and resistors work together, achieve a desired effect, etc...

13. Abrasive1

Can you tell me what differences you hear between the two?

14. aj_efff

aj_efff Member

This one is pretty new, and sounds awesome! I would love to pick on up, but I have a timeline already and she emulates all my needs. But if I ever part with her, this is the delay i'd pick up.

http://www.alexanderpedals.com/shop/amnesia

15. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

Regarding the Behringer, it beat a genuine DMM in a blind audio shootout here on TGP.

If you value TGP people's opinions on what they think sounds better, then the Behringer is a win.

16. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

Way Huge Echo Puss (not the Supa, totally different pedal) gets pretty close. People who say the repeats are too grainy probably haven't played a DMM in a while.

17. to_be_released

to_be_released Member

Also, the behringer was close enough a clone to get the inventor of the dmm worked up about it - he reckoned that the fact it used different delay chips affected the circuit/sound less than the surrounding circuitry.

Given that, I wouldn't be too worried by the fact it uses different bucket brigade chips, if you're after the dmm sound.

18. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

Having owned the behringer and a true DMM. The DMM was twice as good in person. The repeats so much cleaner the modulation much more lush.

19. Abrasive1

Sounded pretty cool ...missing a knob vs. a regular DMM but do dig the size as well...haven't read about the construction vs. DMM yet

20. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

That could well be in your case. I don't know how the direct recordings (IIRC) from the blond tests would favor the Behringer VTM1 over the DMM, any more than how "in person" running through a sound reinforcement device like an amp would sweeten the DMM in a blind test. All I know is that people were surprised at how the golden ears chose the Vintage Time machine over the Deluxe Memory Man.

Of course, I'm never surprised at the after-the-fact rationalizations rolled out after golden ears don't perform, or how some folks don't participate in the first place when given the chance to show their ears off.