DNA Analogic Gain Fxxker II on the way!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Deaj, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I've tried quite a few gain pedals this year looking to round out my pedal board. I've had quite a few overdrive pedals that I could happily live with. The CJOD and Love Pedal Eternity are my favorites to date and both have claimed pedal board real estate. I have an AnalogMan Mini Bi-Comp and I use the Juicer side as a pre-OD boost. I also have a Love Pedal COT 50 due in this week that will get used as a pre-OD boost. There are so many great OD pedals out there that it's sometimes been hard to select among them for pedal board use.

This hasn't been the case for distortion pedals however. Most of the pedals I've tried just don't do it for me. I had a Menatone KOTB-6 here not long ago. There was lots to like about that one but it was somewhere between OD and distortion, not a full-on distortion. Also, it was so bright that I had to set my amp up pretty dark to get a desireable tone out of it. With the amp set up this way it didn't take my other pedals well and produced a lackluster clean tone. I also had a Hermida Grinder here for a short while. The distortion was excellent but I couldn't get the mids sorted out. I found myself constantly tweaking the bass and bass gain trying to balance the mids and lows and the ideal balance always seemed just out of reach.

Well, with all of the positive press that the DNA Analogic Gain Fxxker II has received here from players who have amps capable of producing excellent high gain tones I felt compelled to give one a spin. Musicians Friend seems to have a great price plus a 45 day money back satisfaction guarantee and free shipping to boot so I ordered one a few minutes ago. I'll be sure to post my observations once it arrives.

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I think from what I read this pedal is strictly high gain.... right? Look forward to your review!

3. matte

matte Senior Member

FXCKING GREAT PEDAL!

4. Deaj

:D

Nothing but glowing reports so far. Can't wait to try it out!

5. Deaj

That's the impression I get. I have high hopes that it will scratch my itch for a high gain lead tone. It's not something I use often enough to warrant getting a dedicated high gain amp. I'll definitely post an initial review when I get it.

6. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

Strictly high gain? Not necessarily. It can get some bitchin' Plexi like--with a bit more teeth--tones with the gain way down and the "fxxk" backed down to around 10:00. I prefer it with the gain cranked up--probably around 1 or 2:00--and generally keep the "fxxk" around 11:00 for that throaty midrange thang. What a killer friggin' pedal.

peace
    -jeff

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I got mine today, need to sit with it and check it out more. She's a grindy little monster! I like it so far... we'll see if I can find the love.

8. walrus

walrus Member

I got mine today too- gonna try it out now!

9. Deaj

Agreed. I'll experiment a bit with a new pedal to get a full sense of what it can do but if it doesn't work with my amp settings it won't earn velcro.