DNPD. Disappointing New Pedal Day

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by VintagePlayerStrat, Jan 23, 2020.

1. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

The new v2 Barber Tone Press Parallel Compressor came to my doorstep today. My Tele likes a touch of compression from my DigiTech compressor and I thought I'd upgrade a bit to the v2 TP, which gets nice reviews and has more features than my two knob DigiTech.

I got a nice little markdown on a brand new v2 TP, so I felt great about pairing it with my Tele and Doc. Z.

Well, that was until I tried to adjust the settings on the pedal. First, this one acts like there is something wrong with the ground, because just touching the knobs induces hum and hiss, moving your hand away results in less, but it's still there. All compressors induce some noise, but this one does so even at the most modest blend and sustain settings. As far as the volume knob, I have to set it will below unity if I don't want it to be noisy. Useless.

I already contacted the vendor, which get's perfect feedback on Reverb, and was very responsive when they sold me the pedal. They have a reasonable return policy, so I'm sure I can send it back for either a refund, or replacement.

My two knob DigiTech Compressor is a bit squishy for my taste, even on lower settings, so I'd still be interested in trying out a v2 TP that actually works as intended. Or, since this vendor stocks a lot of nice pedals, I might go with something totally different. We'll see.

First World problems, I know, But still a DNPD, Disappointing New Pedal Day.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  2. SubApathy

SubApathy Supporting Member

Have you contacted Barber? David B is on TGP.

sixesandsevens likes this.
  3. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg I Drink and I Know Things. Silver Supporting Member

That sucks.

At least you bought from a responsive vendor that should help solve your problem. It might not hurt to contact Barber directly too.

I'm assuming, since you didn't specify, that you've gone through and checked your power supply, cabling and signal chain but if not, I would.

4. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

My Tone Press has none of those issues. I like it so much I have them on two different pedalboards.

Trevorsnackson likes this.
  5. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

The Tone Press is a solid design. Sorry you got a faulty unit.

sanfi4u and guitarslinger21 like this.
  6. Riffa

Riffa Member

What you need is the Boss CP-1X.

Not Orange and RiverDog like this.
  7. VintagePlayerStrat

I did re check and then check again and again. I'm running a Walrus Aetos as my power supply now, so no problems dealing with the 10 ma and negative tip required by the TP. I even checked three different sets of cables on it.

Plugged my DigiTech back in, no undue noise with my set up.

Bill Lumberg likes this.
  8. VintagePlayerStrat

And GearTree just send me a return shipping label, free of charge for defective pedal. Nice job by them. I'll send it back today and get it squared away. Thanks for the advice.

9. am83

am83 Supporting Member

Great! I had a tone press for a couple of years, And never had issues like that, so definitely it's a faulty unit. Hope you enjoy the next one better

10. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    Sorry to hear that. No way to know until you try it, and the store would trust the company to send them totally usable units. Doo-doo occurs at times.

Look into a Bondi 2026 compressor. Very transparent and versatile. It has an automatic setting and manual setting for both soft knee and hard knee operation.

11. stratguy23

stratguy23 Supporting Member

I’m sorry about your experience, glad the seller sounds top notch and is resolving it.

I’d recommend the Wampler Ego Compressor. It has blend and attack knobs so it can be pretty subtle but can also really squish if you want it. Been my main compressor for years.

12. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

The tone press is a great pedal.

have the vendor send you a new one. Or contact David Barber. He posts on here all the time.

13. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

I have a pedal that acted like that and I sent it back to the builder and they fixed it no problem. Im a lot happier with it now. Definitely sounds like a faulty unit to me. I'd give it another shot and buy another.

sixesandsevens likes this.
  14. VintagePlayerStrat

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll weigh the options since I have the return credit.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  15. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

Absolutely, but I'll weigh in as another person who has had great experiences with Barber pedals and with my interactions with the builder. I wouldn't hesitate to at least have the seller send a replacement before I moved on to another pedal.