do 10's feel like 9's in Eb tuning?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by still.ill, Apr 5, 2008.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

just wanted to know what 9's felt like
    also what about those 9.5 sets... what are they like?

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Don't go lighter just get used to 10 and stick there.

3. still.ill

still.ill Member

im having extreme trouble doing 3b5 bends on b string
    and 19b21 on high e

4. Julia343

Julia343 Member

It really depends upon the scale. I would say they'd feel like 9s in std Eb tuning.

I use 9.5 - 49 combo set on my 25.5" scale Hellraiser (std E w/ the 49 for drop D)

I use a 9 - 12 - 16 - 26 - 36 - 46 on my SG (std E - 24.75")

I use 12 - 54 set with a 20p G on my LP (std D/drop C - 24.75")

If you've got hand injuries go with the lighter strings. D'Addario makes a nice 9 - 46 set available at GC. They also make a 9.5 - 44 set which I combine with an 11 - 49 set because it's cheaper than buying a bunch of custom sets.

5. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

In my experience, dropping my tuning by 1/2 step necessitates a jump in string gauge. I usually play 10's. I go to 11's when I drop 1/2 step. So yeah, your 10's will feel about like 9's when you drop to Eb.

6. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

You can definitely feel the difference, but I don't feel like it is a whole size step in difference. (standard tuning both ways, one just a 1/2 step down)

7. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Just stick at it and in few weeks you'll wonder what the problem was .

8. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I have small, old hands. Despite the tough-love advise of well meaning heavier string players, I have never been able to get use to 10's. I use 9.5 SOB pure nickel, EB Hybrids, and occasionally 9.5 Boomers, depending on the guitar and sound I'm going after. The Boomers are stiffer, which is sometimes good and sometimes not. I only have two guitars at this time; both are 25.5" scale EBMM Silhouette Specials, in standard tuning. Works for me.

I think 9.5's are great. Wish EB would come out with them so I could drop their Hybrids. The Hybrids are nice, but the jump from light to medium gauge midway sometimes feels a little awkward.

9. dosmun

dosmun Member

Use whatever feels good to you. String gauge is MUCH more important as to how it FEELS to you than the slight tonal difference you will get.

10. soundbee

soundbee Member

I'm with Julia343 - I generally tune to Eb just cuz I like the way it sounds.

On my strat I use 11's and on my LP I use 10's - both feel just about the same tension-wise. The scale length is what makes the difference.

11. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

The saddle height really makes a difference too. Of course with string action, but if you want to make a strat play real slinky, shim the neck to allow the saddles to be lowered a good deal. it really works and makes the .010's just about feel like .009's even in standard 440 tuning!

12. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

The shorter scale LP would generally feel slinkier with the same string gauge. You have an anomaly. :)