1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do 18w TMB amps sound a little thin to you?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blues Rocker, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Blues Rocker

Blues Rocker Member

I'm looking for a lower watt amp for practice/recording (a Victoria Bassman is my performing/reference amp). I've looked at GDS, Ceriatone, Gabriel, etc. The concept is wonderful, but from the clips I've reviewed, the delivery is a little weak compared to my 335 into my Bassman (either clean or with an OCD or Box of Rock).

Can anyone comment on this? Believe me, I'm all for the 18w concept, but I haven't found the fullness and fatness of tone that I'm used to and was expecting with even the hd sound samples I've heard.

Any particular 18w heads or combos you'd recommend?

Thanks....

2. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

There was a thread recently about the Reinhardt MI-6, it's similar to an 18 watt Marshall style amp but it uses 6V6 power tubes. It's supposedly a bit darker and thicker than the EL84 based amps, might want to check it out.

3. drewl

drewl Member

No.
    I was just playing my Weber 18w TMB I built and couldn't believe how much beefier it is than a 4210 I was fixing.

4. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

My tmb 18 I built was surprisingly fat. Reminded me of a big boy 100 watt Marshall. It held its own in the tone department compared to the other amps here. Quite simply, It sounds great.

Well, since I built it, and it sounds great, it should explode at any moment.

5. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Sure... I've built two in the last couple of months. Compared to my bassmans, pro reverb, and route 66, and other 30-50 watt amps - they sound smaller and thinner... but you can mitigate that with a decent 2x12 or 4x12 cab. They are after all lower wattage, and sound it. If you push an 18 watter to be thicker, you will be giving up some clarity - especially in open and bar chords.

6. Blues Rocker

Blues Rocker Member

Hacksaw,
    I don't know if you purposely kept me in suspence, but which 18w TMB are you referring to?

7. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

Sorry! it was a kit from Ted Weber company

8. Blues Rocker

Blues Rocker Member

Smolder,
    Would you say that an 18w TMB pushing a 2x12 with 25w Greenbacks would approximate the tonal fullness and fatness of your Bassman at the same perceived volume?

9. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

No... I don't think (in my limited experience) there is a substitute for a big amp. However... if I run an 18 watt through my 2x12 avatar vintage it gets close to the 'bigness' of a bassman through a 1x12 (in a large cab). My 2x12 currently is an open back with an english greenback and a fane.

I wish I had science to back this up... its just my impression, that more speakers... and/or more wattage, at the same volume (using a radio shack db meter) both sounds and feels bigger.

The specific amp, speaker and especially the cab all impact what I hear as 'bigness'. I wish I could quantify it better... but I will tell you for sure that youtube or clips do not capture 'bigness' of the sound.

I am still trying to find an amp/speaker/cab combination that will give me that big sound at a relatively (18 watt) volume.

10. Blues Rocker

Blues Rocker Member

I wouldn't use the 4210 as a reference. I sold mine because it was thin sounding too!

11. Blues Rocker

Blues Rocker Member

And THAT is why it's so darned hard to replace my Bassman! It is just so hard to get big Marshall sound from "lower wattage" amps! But I still keep trying!

12. Griz

Griz Member

I have a Trinity sIII, a TMB style 18 watter. It may have something to do with the OT that Stephen uses, but that sIII has lots of bottom end for a low wattage amp. I usually have the bass control down quite low to compensate, depending on the speaker cab I'm using.

As a rule though, I'd be looking to an amp with more like 40-50 watts output for louder, clearer low end.

13. leodiditright

leodiditright Member

To my experience a small sounding amp will always sound small whatever the cab. Put an Orange Tiny Terror into 2 4x12 cabs and it will still be sounding like a Pignose big brother.

The 18w combo sounds a little small partly due to it's "tight ass" shallow cab also.

14. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Yeah, it will always sound thinner than a Bassman...
    Part of beefiness is headroom. That's not the entirety of the equation, but a chunk of it. However, for recording an 18w is the bomb diggity. You can get driven amp sounds at a much lower volume. There does tend to be a lot more harmonic bloom from an 18w, also. It's a very pure circuit. I frequently run one with a 2x12 cab running either a v30 and G12H or two G12H's. It doesn't sound bigger with those, just louder.

15. klippbuzz

klippbuzz Member

Three low wattage amps that all have plenty of bottom end and volume to boot. Trinity Plexi 18, Suhr Badger 18, Komet 19. The Trinity is about 1/2 the price of the Suhr and Komet.

16. rickmebe

rickmebe Member

17. bgood

bgood Member

I don't think of my Trinity sIII as being thin. It's got nice thick mids. I keep the bass pretty far down 2/3 and the mids around 6. It sounds pretty nice with my P90 SG.

Also sounds thick on the neck PUP of my ASAT Bluesboy - SD Seth Lover.

thick is one of those sonic descriptions that's probably hard to get to in words.

I think of my 18watt as chewy and rich with great high end harmonic content that retains clarity cranked but with a heavy grind in the mids................but those are just more inadequate words to describe great sounds.... LOL

I do think my 5E3 is thicker.

18. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

Although my Reinhardt 18 combo doesn't sound as huge as a 50-100w halfstack, I certainly wouldn't call the sound thin!

19. Bad Juju

Bad Juju Supporting Member

+1

The MI-6 is very thick and full sounding. I run mine through a Mesa Widebody 1x12 and occasionally a Bogner Shiva 2x12 and it sounds fat through either to my ears.

20. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

I just bought an MI-6. It is very thick sounding.