Do 2 channel amps only have 1 channel that sounds good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lightningsmith, Feb 24, 2009.

1. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

I've heard that while one thrives, the other is pretty much a miss. Or both channels won't sound as good as if they were single amps of their own.

Any high end amp owners that beg to differ?
    *hint* Two Rock owners. ;)

2. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

My Rivera Knucklehead has 2 great channels!

3. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

My Einstein has two great channels :)

4. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

Alot of multi-channel amps have more than one great channel.

5. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Senior Member

Shiva
    OD 100
    Legacy
    Lone Star

2 really nice channels on all of those.

6. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

Amps that I had that I loved both channels:

Budda Superdrive 18 II
    BadCat Black Cat
    Dr. Z 6545
    Fuchs ODS 20 watter
    Bad Cat Lil'15
    Rivera Quiana
    Orange AD30HTC

7. hottub

hottub Member

I like both channels on my Fuchs...

8. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

BTW .... reading my own post made me realize that I have an amp problem. :D

9. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

VHT two- and three-channel amps sound great all 'round.

10. majorledhead

majorledhead Supporting Member

I got one that has one great channel and one very good channel. ( Slant 6V )

11. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

The Soldano HR 50+ I had a few years ago had 2 great channels. I can't imagine that the SLO100 would have one bad one either.

12. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

I'm sure all those amps sound fine but suppose you take an amp like the Fargen Dual Classic with Blackface on clean and Marshall on the dirt and compare them with their respective single channel counterparts made by Fargen, would they sound as good?

13. hottub

hottub Member

hmm, tough one to answer..... "good" is different for many. IMO, I would imagine they'd sound great with the added benefit of having two distinct tones in one rig, especially if you gig you'd have a lot of flexibility.

14. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Depends on the amp, man. That's a pretty generalized statement. In the case of my JCM 800 2-channel amp, yeah, one channel was way better than the other.

15. cameron

cameron Member

Well, the whole point of a two-channel amp is that the two channels sound different.

There's no reason that one channel has to be worse than another. But what a given player finds good in an amp is a subjective thing.

Thus if a player likes lets say 33% of the single channel amps that he tries (i.e. one amp in three). If we think of a two channel amp as representing two single channel amps, the probability that the player in question will like BOTH of the channels is 1/3 * 1/3 = 1/9. Thus, whatever the odds of a player liking a single-channel amp may be, that same player is only half as likely to like BOTH channels of a two-channel amp.

The odds of that same player (mister one-in-three) liking EITHER of the channels in a given two-channel amp is 1/3 + 1/3 = 2/3 (66.6%). So whatever the odds of a given player liking a single channel are, the odds of that player liking ONE of the channels in a two-channel amp is double the odds of him liking any given single-channel amp.

So, while there's no technical reason two-channel amps have to favor one channel over another, the simple mathematics of probability mean that it's far more likely for any given player to like only one of the channels, rather than both.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  16. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

But let's just say that the same player likes 2 single-channel amps and the builder can actually build an amp with 2 channels based on those single channel models, would each channel sound as good as its single-channel version? That's what I'm trying to say.

17. DavidH

DavidH Member

You mean is an amp compromised, from a technical standpoint, by having more than one channel?

18. cameron

cameron Member

It would depend on how different the two single-channel amps are. The two channels of a two-channel amp share the same power section, and have different pre-amp sections. So in general you can't take just any two single-channel amps and make one two-channel amp that clones both of them accurately.

Beyond that the only technical disadvantage in a two-channel amp is simply that it's more complicated. The switching mechanism between the two channels is a mechanical point of failure that single-channel amps simply do not have.

19. freaksho

freaksho Member

LOL. i was thinking the same thing but not in such geeky math terms, tho as an engineer i totally dig the analysis. awesome!

"good" is of course very subjective. it may not be that both channels of an amp don't sound good, but maybe not exactly what someone may want.

that said, i do think there is something about complication that boggs down an amp's tone. i don't know if it's just mental bias but there seems to be something more pure and unrestrained sounding about a single channel amp meant to do one thing.

for example, i looked around a lot for the two channel Fender/Marshall thing and the best i came up with (in my price range) was the Shiva, which i do love. but i like most single channel clean amps more than CH1 and overall i like my 2204 more than CH2. so for me it def was a compromise to get two in one box. maybe a higher price point would change things? i don't know.

20. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Both channels on my Guytron GT100FV are fantastic.