Do ' 335' type Semi - Acoustics feel 'stiffer' to play than solid body types ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fourth Feline, May 12, 2008.

1. Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline Member

Hi,

I have recently aquired a beautifully set up '335' copy. I oberved that even with the action set as good ( or even better ) than my U.S.A Les Paul, the strings feel 'stiffer' with the same strings / set up - despite being the theoretical same ( medium ) scale length.

I realise that ( like my Baja Tele ) - both the new guitar and new strings need to 'play in ' a bit, but do I remember someone here saying that Semi - acoustics are meant to feel, play and therefore project differently from their solid bodied siblings ?

Thanks.

2. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

If it's got a trapese tailpiece then, yes. If it's a stop it shouldn't be and different.

3. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

My Edwards ES-335 clone doesn't feel any more stiff than my Hamer. They do feel very different though. The body vibrates a whole lot more on the Edwards which is helped by it not being plywood/laminate. This also can generate some feedback but it's easily controlled. The body on the Edwards is of course also much larger so the feel and sound of the guitars are very different but the actual tension of the strings is the same.

4. Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline Member

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated. Fortunately after playing the guitar for a few hours and tweaking to personal taste ( + the strings are now more supple ) - it feels much looser - and on a par with my Les Paul.

I just wish I had have discovered 335 type guitars sooner ! Mine is a nicely set up - and very enjoyable 'Tanglewood' copy, but when I grow up I want a Gibson ...

5. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

Hey Fourth, your a BKP poster yea?
    335's are somewhat awesome!

6. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

Man... my ES335TD has the trapese tail piece and man it still plays like buttah. I do feel it has a more Stratish sound compared to my LPs but how do I know that airy-ness is because of the tailpiece and not because of other attributes found in the 335. Sometimes I feel the bottom line in any of these situations is that my stiff might be stiffer than your stiff or my less stiff is less stiff that your stiff...

7. Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline Member

That's right ! ;)

I have just realised one reason why it feels a bit different, is becase of the really shallow / flat radius - so for example a barre chord after the 10th fret does not curve in the palm and fingers as readily as a 9.5 " radius. However, as I have kept filing the nut , setting intonation, re- adjusting the truss rod, playing in the new strings in e.t.c - It feels much better.

If a copy can feel and look this good - then what would the 'real thing' be like ?

You are right J.H, they are awesome -and I wish I'd have picked one up years ago.

8. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Everything about my ES-339 feels different from my Strat: the body weight and dimenions, the scale length, the fretboard width, the rosewood board, the neck carve, the neck/body joint, the 3-on-a-side tuners, the stop tailpiece, the extra knob.

And I am freakin' LOVIN' IT!!

9. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

They take a little while to break in.
    My 335 felt pretty stiff for about 2
    or 3 weeks, then it settled in and is
    now very easy/comfortable. Give it
    some time.

10. Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline Member

Thanks for that confirmation. :)
    I am already starting to feel the 'transition' - and am relieved to hear that someone else out there had the same settling in period.

I fine tuned the truss rod, bridge height, intonation, nut slots and action last night - now it's had 3 days to 'relax' a bit with the new strings. This cheap copy now sets up as good as my best Gibson !

11. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

if it feels stiff, then top wrap or change the break angle coming over the bridge by raising the tailpiece height. I screw my tailpiece into the surface of the guitar as low as possible then topwrap. I can play 11s on mine no prob that way and they feel like 10s and not much difference at all between my Les Paul and ES-335.