Do all Bassmans sound like this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GiorgioV, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

I gigged with an AB165 and a laney 4-12 cab years ago. Great rawK tonez as it’s cranked. Too loud for bar gigs without an attenuator.

2. PierreL

PierreL Supporting Member

Haha you got me.

3. DayTradeSteelersGuitar

DayTradeSteelersGuitar Member

As far as the original post goes.....that is not even close to how a Bassman sounds....tweed or blackface.....either that was heavily modded or it has pedal in front

jumpbluesdude likes this.
  4. Laced Senses

Laced Senses Member

A caveat here is that "switchable negative feedback" is mentioned at 3:12, so there was likely at least 1 modification done to that particular amp. Also for drip edge era silverface amps (roughly mid '67 to late '69 i think), it's hard to find any two that are alike since CBS-owned Fender was making so many frequent changes to circuitry and brands of components used.

At least some BF Bassman heads can get there or get close, but it depends on pickup(s), pickup height relative to strings, pick dynamics, knob settings, tubes, bias setting, electrolytic capacitors functioning well, & type of speaker(s).

5. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

itmdepends on which SF Bassman amp you have. All of the 50 watt SF Bassman amps from April, 1967 until the AC568(May, 1968) circuit was introduced in the summer of ‘68 are in fact AB165 circuits. from the AC568 amp through the Bassman 50, all of those circuits are based on the AB165 and can be returned to that AB165.....some require more work than others.
    The other SF Bassman amps....Bassman 10, Bassman 70 and the 4x6L6 Bassman amps all have only two gain stages and do not go where the AB165 type of circuit goes.

NamaEnsou and GiorgioV like this.
  6. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

I have an AB165 that i put into an oversized combo cab with a single 12. That amp sounds very similar to the one the OP posted. It’s an excellent amp and if that’s the sound you’re after, I’d just try and figure out a way to get there. They are loud but tamable.

bgoez and NamaEnsou like this.
  7. just-joshin-ya

just-joshin-ya Member

Southside! Really! 25187, Home of well... nothing!
    Dr. Z Z-Plus may get you there. It’s my favorite amp ever!

DV52 and GiorgioV like this.
  8. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Member

If I could like your posts 10 times I would. You are a tremendous help dude!

Steppin' Wolfe likes this.
  9. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Moderation is key Staff Member Supporting Member

I've got a '65 Bassman. The Normal channel has been heavily (completely) modified, but the Bass side just has some mild tweaks to make it "the ultimate black-face tone" in the ears of the builder - and it can definitely get the sounds in the OP. Settings would be - Volume @ 10, and hold on to your pants. Attenuators are awesome, and you'll need one to get a Bassman to rock like that. Also, once you get up to that volume level you're only going to increase gain with a boost pedal....so, experiment with different ones and you'll be able to get a lot of different overtones.....which is true of any single channel amp once you've got it cooking.

I LOVE Bassman amps. I've got a '56, the '65, and had a '62 for a long while too. Great, great, great amps that can do practically anything - including - handle a bass guitar. ;)

coltonius, NamaEnsou and GiorgioV like this.
  10. hoffmanj

hoffmanj Silver Supporting Member

Check out Allen Amps. An Accomplice or Encore with 6L6s might get you close. It’s not the circuit you want, but he also has a Blonde Bassman. If you ask him, he could possibly build you a version closer to or exactly what you’re looking for.

gaelicsolus and LoudBadRocknRoll like this.
  11. keithb7

keithb7 Member

Here is a '64 Bassman that I serviced. Cab has 2 JBL K-120 speakers. NFB is disconnected here.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 11:42 AM
  12. keithb7

keithb7 Member

Same amp above into 1 1x12 cab. 1964 AA864.

TELECOLLECTOR likes this.
  13. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

Had a 69/70 silverface Bassman. It sounded like rock n roll, but had to be LOUD to do it.
    I would have it back in a heartbeat if I could regularly play that loud.
    A DRRI has similar grind at lower volumes, but it's a bit sweeter and sounds smaller.

14. MarkSieber

MarkSieber Member

http://carlscustomamps.com/blonde-20w-40w-and-80w

Carl is excellent to work with. I know some folks would prefer a real bassman, but this is a great handwired amp that works well for me. I got a 20w head with trem and reverb, and the optional master volume which is bypassed at full, which Carl recommended. I can practice at home and gig, too.

15. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

Okay, so I'm not crazy / greedy for wanting another one. :D

I'm hesitant to mod the one I have because I love everything about it. But if I had a second...

PurpleJesus likes this.
  16. bgoez

bgoez Stratocasters are my downfall! Silver Supporting Member

I have a drip edge silverface that actually is a blackface in sheep's clothing from the factory. It sounds just like that bone stock. As others have said, It's super loud to get that sound but boy does it rock. I've always preferred 2 v30 speakers with that amp to get that sound.

LPMojoGL likes this.
  17. LoudBadRocknRoll

LoudBadRocknRoll Member

Bandmaster is close to the same circuit with a smaller output transformer. It sings a bit more and has less "spit and spank" compared to the Bassman in the video.

I have never heard a Bassman sound close to that good in person, ime. I suspect it has been carefully tuned by an expert amp tech.

The OT is a big part of the equation. So if you want that "spit and spank" (literally, intermodulation distortion in the higher frequencies, which is likewise important in the whole Tele slingers' sound as well), I don't think the Bandmaster is what you want. I think the Deluxe Reverb actually gets closer (bigger OT relative to output section?).

But whichever specific amp you choose, you may want to engage the services of a good amp tech to tune it for you. That's what the pros do. "Tuning" means careful selection of coupling and bypass capacitor values at various stages to get the voice you're looking for with your playing style, guitar, pedalboard (or lack thereof), etc.

18. LoudBadRocknRoll

LoudBadRocknRoll Member

Disagree. Somewhat. I think you need to be specific. And there are lots of good options today.

Heyboer and Mercury Magnetics make excellent guitar amp transformers. They carefully avoid the error of being "too good for rock 'n roll", which is real. Don't forget, Triode Electronics is still in business and still makes the same transformers they made back in the 1950s.

In addition to sourcing the boutique and DIY markets, these companies do a decent business keeping a lot of those vintage running and sounding like they should.

I find it interesting that one of the problems facing Hiwatt owners is that most replacement transformers aren't hi-fi enough. Those Partridge OTs have a frequency range something like 20Hz-100KHz. Your average audio transformer doesn't get close to that. So the issue goes both ways ...

coltonius likes this.
  19. bassmannlespaul84

bassmannlespaul84 Member

The most Marshall sounding fender is the tweed bassman

20. LoudBadRocknRoll

LoudBadRocknRoll Member

Depends which Silver Face Bassman. The earlier ones (not Ultra Linear), yes. The later you go, the more components you have to change.

The late 70's Ultra Linear amps will never sound right, imo. I've known a few folks who love these amps. And the UL designs are great for achieving more power without breakup. But the entire concept is anti-thetical to getting saturated grind. I gather they make excellent bass amps ... :--)