Do All Delays Sound.......

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rastaman, Jul 14, 2006.

1. rastaman

rastaman Member

Processed? I've only played a vintage Ibanez AD9 and a Boss DD5. I was scared I'd like the AD 9 but it has that same changed sound as my DD5, I don't like the way it changes the original sound. I play w/ Les Pauls, SG's, and Strats through a Marshall 2061X and 18w. It's not the amps or guitars, they sound awesome w/out a delay turned on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

We'll You should check out the TC Vintage delay (I just sold mine), the T-rex (which I believe is the same pedal), the Diamond Memory Lane, and a few other BBD analog delays.

The TC and T-rex are VERY good for what they are, and I loved the TC VIntage allot, but I sold it. Why, I saving for the holy grail of delays.. the Fulltone TTE.

I am currently using an echotap for now, and the DLS is also very good. Do a search on the ones I just metioned, and it will pop up.

Mike

3. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

+1 The T-Rex Replica is an incredible delay pedal. I've also heard the story that the TC Vintage is the same inside, but never A/B'ed 'em to see if that's true though.

4. theelectic

theelectic Guest

5. burningyen

burningyen Gold Supporting Member

Try a Guyatone or a DigiTech (before you buy).

6. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

my freind you just may not be a delay person. That being said, If you want to go rack, try a Roland SDE1000 or SDE3000. I ditched all my rack gear except for my SDE1000.

:JAM Scott

7. stevieray

stevieray Member

Sounds like you might just not like the ambience a delay adds. Is it that the sound goes from in-your-face to distant sounding, or is it that you don't like what it does to your original dry signal? In other words, if you set the delay time long (not possible on an AD-9), do you dislike what it does to your original played note or just dislike what the repeats sound like. Also, does it sound ok with a long delay but get funky for you when the time is shorter?

If you don't like the distant sounding thing then delay might not be your thing. Some guys use delay instead of reverb to give ambience.

If you just don't like what the repeats sound like, then the Replica or a rackmount delay suggestions are spot on.

Also, you might try some type of mixer and a delay that can be run 100% wet. Then you could preserve your dry tone completely and mix in the repeats to taste. Go this route if you don't like what it's doing to your original played note.

8. gulliver

gulliver Member

H&K Replex after your distortion pedal but before your amp will change your tone a bit, but definitely does not sound processed.

9. rastaman

rastaman Member

Mr. electic, that doesn't sound processed at all :dude . The strumming that starts around 1:05 is kinda what I'm talking about.

Maybe I'm not a Delay guy, I always thought I would like it though.

stevieray you might be right, I don't like what it does to my signal when I activate it BUT I like the delay functions. I think I'll try some more delays out.

10. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Its nearly impossible to get a delay to sound good through the front of an amp especially with an overdriven sound. Even effects loops are not great but some of the better loops are workable. I have an 18 watter on the way myself and cringe of the thought of running the echo through the front end of the amp. My friend swears the only way to get a good echo sound is running a load box and using another amp for the wet signal. The results are very good but its a PITA to set it up.

11. rastaman

rastaman Member

Hmmmm.. I use a multi-amp setup. Marshall 2061X w/ Hotplate, 18w and a Marshall Artist 30 for solos. I can try the delay in the loop. Thanks for reminding me, choruses and delays (time based effects), always sound better in a loop to me.

12. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

+1 on ML and T-rex.
    Those were my two options along with a quicksilver when I was getting my delay, and I had about an hour and a bit with each one and went with the ML. It stood out the most for me, I like modulation. Also you may wanna' give me the echoczar a try, but, youd have to wait about a year. In the mean time either a TTE or Pete Cornish TES otta' hold you off.

13. landru64

landru64 Member

the cornish doesn't sound processed.

14. entraind

entraind Member

The memory lane doesn't sound processed at all and has a great feature set. Buy one used on the emporium, if you don't dig it you can probably sell it back for what you paid and just be out shipping....

15. madsr

madsr Member

I use an echo park.. $90 and sounds great both in the loop and in front of the amp..the "ducking" feature on it is just about the best thing ever in a delay for me.. when on you only hear the repeat when you stop..so the repeats aren't heard when strumming.. might want to check one out..lots of guys who have trouble with delays ask me how I get that sound.