1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Do all fuzz pedals need to be hit hard to get FUZZY?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jwmoose, Feb 20, 2012.

1. jwmoose

jwmoose Member

Yesterday I played LP --> fuzz pedal with fuzz level almost saturated --> clean amp. I expected it to get pretty hairy, and it did, but only when I hit it with a fair amount of attack, then the dirt disappeared again as the signal rang out and volume faded. It's as though there's a gate on the fuzziness. Is this just the dynamics of fuzz?

2. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

Sounds bizarre for most pedals but it's possible that this is "normal" -- what pedal was it?

3. jwmoose

jwmoose Member

It's a Hartman Vintage Germanium. It's running on a battery--possible culprit?

4. corbs

corbs Supporting Member

Is there an internal trimpot? Sounds as if the bias might not be properly or optimally set. You can also try a newer non-alkaline battery. Is it a new pedal? Buy it used?

5. jwmoose

jwmoose Member

I think I bought it new a while back. I'll have to check for a trimpot. Interesting, though, I sort of expected you guys to just remind me that germanium fuzz is finicky, but maybe it's more than simply how I'm dialing it in. I'm gonna try a different guitar, battery, read the manual again, etc. and see if I can't change how it responds.

6. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

Yea -- my guess is the battery is dying/dead or there are bias issues (not sure if it has an internal trimmer).

Could also be a bad transistor but odds are it's battery or bias.