Do all tube amps change tone after they break in?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jchrisf, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

Yeah, the title is a play off another popular thread here. I recently got a Laney IRT 15 Studio. I did not like the tone I was getting when I first bought it but MF has a 45 day return policy so I thought I'd keep it for the full time if I was going to have to pay shipping sending it back. I then bought an EQ pedal and it really made the amp come alive so I decided to keep it.

Now I have had the amp almost 45 days and this thing sounds amazing without any pedals. It seems the whole character of the amp is different. Is it just me or did it break in or something?

BTW, this is my first tube amp and I am hooked. I've been using modelers up until now and loving them... thought I'd always use them. Before I upgraded to one of the top modelers I wanted to see what a real tube amp was like and started researching them. Got this IRT studio and it is such a difference. So much better than any modeler I have ever heard or played while being very simple and quick to dial in good tones.. no fiddling around now for me. And for a fraction of the price of top of the line modeler I can buy pedals and make it do everything they do that I would use. Plus it is rackmountable, has three great channels, a really nice footswitch and a DI for the computer/recording. I think I have stumbled upon the best bedroom option for myself and have no need for modelers anymore.

2. hvactech

hvactech Supporting Member

I believe they do. I had a mark v that was super stiff and bright when I first bought it. Now it feels alot better under my hands and has a wonderful girth and breathing top end that marks are known for.

Also there have been amp makers here who have already attested to the fact amps due in fact break in after a while. I've seen the maker of carol ann amps allude to this multiple times

3. MHG

MHG Member

Pretty much every builder I've spoken to have told me that they do.

4. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

I guess you have to give a new amp a chance then. I did not like the sound of this new amp at first but really love it now. I'm a 80's rock guy and this amp nails all of it. Got a real nice growl to it now whereas before it was not very good at all.

5. Cirrus

Cirrus Member

Coupling caps break in measurably - when they're new they add distortion to the signal, the amount of distortion reduces over the first few hours of use. It can be subtle, I suppose it just depends on how the amp's voiced. And speakers obviously break in. Anyone who thinks they don't is categorically, scientifically and medically insane.

6. vintagelove

vintagelove Member

Speakers breaking in could certainly change the tone a bit.

7. e???

e??? Member

They do break in and relax, but if I don't like an amp off the bat, I'm not gonna take the chance that it will probably sound better eventually. But yeah, they usually end up sounding better

8. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

I guess that is where a 45 day return policy has it's advantages. I would have returned it already if I only had 14 days with the amp.

My cab is several years old and well broken in so it would have to be the amp that changed.

9. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

I gave the technical rationale of why they change in a previous thread, but yes they certainly do.

Jchrisf likes this.